Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick Robin 34 posts 104 karma points
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 15:29
    Patrick Robin

I'm currently developing a new website powered by Umbraco 7.6.1 and I'm having some trouble porting some code that was running under 7.4.3

Previously I used the following code to get a list of all descendants from the current node that had a specific tag:

var tag = Request.QueryString["tag"] ?? "";
    var nodes = CurrentPage.Descendants("page").Where("string.IsNullOrEmpty(@0) || tags.Contains(@0)", tag).OrderBy("CreateDate DESC");

However running this code under 7.6.1 yields no results, but if I use:

var taggedPages = Umbraco.TagQuery.GetContentByTag(tag);

I get the correct results but I cannot see how I can limit the results to descendants of a specific node nor how I can implement paging.

Any ideas?

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 15:49
    Kevin Jump

Hi

under 7.6.x depending on other settings using dynamic types doesn't work .

the Typed Version of what you want is.

Model.Content.DescendantsOrSelf("page")
        .Where(x => !x.HasValue("tag") && x.GetPropertyValue<string>("tag").Contains(tag));

However the current recommendation is try to avoid Descendants calls - so there is probably some clever XPath that can do this quicker.

However if you are talking a few (100's not 1000s of nodes) you might want to use the TagQuery - which should be quicker and you can do the following to just get the tags that are below the page you are on.

var taggedPages = Umbraco.TagQuery.GetContentByTag(tag)
        .Where(x => x.Path.StartsWith(Model.Content.Path));

and while this isn't ideal. you can do some pageing with Skip() and Take().

var pagedContent = taggedPages.Skip(pageNo-1).Take(pageSize) 

this should be ok for a few pages (approx 100 nodes say) but it might slow things down if you have 1000s of pages tagged across your site.

• Patrick Robin 34 posts 104 karma points
    Sep 27, 2017 @ 16:41
    Patrick Robin

That's brilliant, thanks for your help, I'll have a play around with your suggestions tomorrow.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft