Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    May 31, 2018 @ 06:54
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

How do I display non-English characters eg. the Spanish ñ in Razor views without encoding them?

This might be an easy thing to fix.

I have a multi language site, the Spanish version of the site is set up to use the es-Es culture and the language is set as:

<html class="no-js" lang="es">

However, when any content is added in the CMS that contains special non-English characters, these are encoded when I checked the source:

Espa&#241;a

There is a client requirement for these not to be encoded, when viewing source, it should be:

España

I know I can use Html.Raw() to not escape the characters, but this wouldn't work with other html entities like ampersand that need to be encoded.

Is there some extra configuration I need to do to change this?

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 10:27
    Stephen

Yes, there is some extra configuration + some extra code that you need to build into your project. Doing it on my website because I had the exact same issue. Need to find the code (it's Saturday...) and will post.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 10:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

I'm wondering why it is so important for them that the characters are not encoded? I mean when they see the site it's going to show just fine as España isn't it?

I just checked a couple of danish sites we have done throughout the years where danish characters like æ,ø and å are also getting encoded. So far I have not heard that it should be a bad thing? In terms of indexing the site in search engines this should not matter either.

/Jan

Jun 02, 2018 @ 10:28
    Stephen

Jan: because the page looks ugly when you look at the source + every single char such as 'é' turns into 'Ӓ' ie 7 chars - I know bandwidth is cheap, but stil.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 11:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Aaah yes, I never thought of it in that context. But it makes sense #h5yr :-)

/Jan

Jun 02, 2018 @ 10:48
  • Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Jun 04, 2018 @ 10:42
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

Stephen, that is awesome, that is a great article and is exactly what I need. H5YR

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft