Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ranjit J. Vaity 66 posts 109 karma points
    Jul 04, 2018 @ 07:37
    Ranjit J. Vaity

Using Publish at / custom Date property

Hello Community,

I am working on having a newsItem Document type for storing hundreds of news items and as per the requirements we are required to have a NewsPublish Date that further can be use to sort the news in descending order for display in UI.

I have question, Can I use Umbraco "Publish at" property from Info tab or should I create my own custom property for storing the News publish date and implementing the sort logic on that property.

I really want to know from Umbraco Community, the best approach to that one can go with that is flexible and simple for the editors and from performance point of view.

Note: Please highlight any drawbacks for using "Publish at" property from Info tab for News Publish date, if any!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

Ranjit J. Vaity

• Jason Elkin 38 posts 351 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jul 04, 2018 @ 11:16
    Jason Elkin

Hey Ranjit

"Publish at" might change (say the user wants to publish an update in the future) but also the user might want to change the date that the article appears to have been published on (quite a common scenario).

For that reason we tend to have an "Article Date" property, that represents the canonical date of the article and we use that for sorting on the front-end of the site.

When it comes to the backoffice I've implemented a few of different methods for different clients and it really depends on their preference.

In most cases we actually sort the backoffice listview by the updateDate property. Most of often, when a user visits this listing they either want to start a new article or pick up where they left off - in this case updateDate is most relevant for the user.

Other clients prefer to use the canonical "Article Date" as that's how they understand the list best and also represents what fronted users see.

I'd ask your editors and see what makes most sense to them.

• Ranjit J. Vaity 66 posts 109 karma points
    Jul 26, 2018 @ 13:06
    Ranjit J. Vaity

Hello Jason,

Thank you so much for your response ! :)

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Ranjit

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft