Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 95 posts 247 karma points
    May 22, 2019 @ 15:07
    Connie DeCinko

Grid, side-by-side display in uSkinned

The uSkinned themes have a version of Umbraco Grid which allows for adding basic data types, image, text box, etc. We need to display to doc types side by side, a two column section of the page. I installed the Doc Type Grid Editor but that just broke the uSkinned grid.

Any ideas other than using a grid or a special template to get a two column layout section in our page?

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    May 24, 2019 @ 20:59
    MB

I've worked with the uSkinned kit and had the same issue.

I think the problem is that many of uSkinned DocTypes (primarily their 'components') use a common redirection template which then targets PartialView names that are different to the DocType alias.

The DocType Grid Editor appears to make the assumption that the DocType alias and the View name will be the same, and blows up when the path search can't find it. This is perhaps a bit too simplistic on their part, and needs some options to cope with that scenario.

While I also would have preferred that I could get DocType Grid Editor to play nice, for the time being I just resorted to creating my own multi-column components to get it done. There's a bit more to it than simply creating the component itself, and a few places I needed to touch to make it work, but it's quite doable, even if not as elegant.

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    May 26, 2019 @ 10:23
    MB

Actually, after another request for this functionality, I did a bit more investigating using some feedback from Lee Kelleher, and managed to get this combination to work, and it's 'good enough' for the current request needs I had, but obviously this might not be what you are needing.

DocType Grid Editor requires that you specify the allowed DocTypes for selection as grid content, so you already know what they are going to be.

To support DocTypes such as the uSkinned 'Components', just modify the rendering code in DocTypeGridEditor.cshtml and add a condition in the final rendering section to handle their specific DocTypeAlias specs and render with an html.partial() or whatever is appropriate.

It's not pretty, and I'm sure there's a better way, but it's a functional first attempt that gets me off the hook.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft