Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

  • connor anderson 4 posts 94 karma points
    Jul 19, 2019 @ 16:51
    connor anderson

    Alternative to Onclick for Button function in Umbraco 8

    Hi I have been developing in previous versions of Umbraco for quite a while. In previous versions I had been using the macro's as a method of incorporating C# and .net into my pages.

    I have been trying to get them to work for Umbraco 8, but the buttons have not been working as intended. I am aware that OnClick is no longer valid on the Razor code for the Partial View Macro. I have attempted to substitute this via Html.RenderPartial, IsPost and ActionResults however none of these have worked on Umbraco 8 as intended.

    The Html.RenderPartial IsPost doesn't work because the page seems to cache data, so the c# only runs the first time after the code has published. This happens across multiple machines.

    The issue I have with ActionResults is that the return value keeps returning the error "The name 'View' does not exist in the current context". for the various valid ActionResult options.

    How can I resolve this?

    Kind Regards

  • connor anderson 4 posts 94 karma points
    Jul 26, 2019 @ 09:02
    connor anderson

    I have found a solution.

    Firstly i had been using action results wrong it is meant to go into the controller not the razor macro code space.

    Second by using the code below i was able to pull the content from the page to set it up as new content. To alter the page I added specific div's for splitting the page for where i wanted to add things.

    (please note that the code is an altered version of example code for a simple submission. was given the code and do not know the original source.)


        public ActionResult SubmitDemoForm(DemoFormViewModel model)
            if (!ModelState.IsValid)
                ModelState.AddModelError("Error", "Please complete all required fields");
            System.Text.StringBuilder sbMessage = new System.Text.StringBuilder();
            WebClient client = new WebClient();
            var url = new Uri(Request.Url, Request.RawUrl);
            string content = client.DownloadString(url);
            string[] words = content.Split(new[] { "<div style = \"display:none;\">Split</div>\r\n" }, StringSplitOptions.None);
            sbMessage.Append("Your Name is : " + model.Name + "</br/>");
            sbMessage.Append("Your Password is : " + model.TelephoneNumber + "</br/>");
            sbMessage.Append("Your Email is : " + model.EmailAddress + "</br/>");
            for (int n = 1; n < words.Count(); n++)
            return Content(sbMessage.ToString());

    Hopefully this can help other people having the same issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: