Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Melissa 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 29, 2019 @ 17:13
    Melissa

Hi, I am fairly new to Umbraco and am unable to find an answer to my question.

I have a theme, but have a section of the theme I would like to be repeatable.

For example, I would like a group of content: Text Box, Media Picker, Text Box - to be repeatable depending on the page this template is applied to.

Currently I have it like this (image attached), but would like it to just be repeatable on the content side.

enter image description here

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 30, 2019 @ 14:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Melissa and welcome to the Umbraco forum :-)

You should checkout the "Nested content" datatype, since this allows you to define a document type, which can contain "Title" and "Background image".

In the following I'm assuming you're using Umbraco 8 where Nested content is built into Umbraco core. It became a part of core back in 2017 if I remember correctly, so in later versions of Umbraco 7 it's also available out of the box. It originated from a package created by Matt Brailsford and Lee Kelleher and it's obviously been pretty popular since it was adopted into Umbraco core :-)

So when using Nested content you need to do the following

1: Create a document type called "Theme" - This will contain your "Title" and "Background image". 2: Go to the Datatypes folder and setup an instance of the "Nested content" datatype and make it use the "Theme" document type" 3: Now create a new property/field on your page document type called "Themes" and make it use your Nested content property editor

In the nested content datatype you can limit how many instances that can be created.

This was a brief description of the proces and I will recommend that you read Paul Seals article "How to create a carousel in Umbraco using Nested Content and bootstrap" https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-create-a-carousel-in-umbraco-using-nested-content-and-bootstrap/ - I know you're not building a caroussel but I think the article covers the concept of nested content pretty well and can probably help as an inspiration about how you can achieve your goal.

Have fun coding!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft