"bodyText of a certain node" doctype

Hi, my tree looks like this :

Homepage

- Section 1

-- sub 1.1

-- sub 1.2

- Section 2

-- sub 2.1

-- sub 2.2 (which is the same content as 1.2)

I'd like to create a doctype that will refer to a certain node and copy its bodyText. In my tree, the bodyText of sub1.2 and sub2.2 is the same. So, if I change the text in 1.2, I'd like the text in 2.2 changes as well. How can I acheive that in a simple way for my users?

Thank you

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 21:13
    webangelo

If you put a content picker on the documentType to select the content you want to get the bodyText from, you could create a quick XSLT macro to return the bodyText value from that page using the umbraco.library:GetItem(nodeId,alias) method.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbracolibrary/getitem

Alternatively, if you stored the content in the parent node (i.e. The section Node in the tree structure above) you could use a recursive reference to the bodyText field directly in the template instead.  (Easiest way is to select the checkbox for recursive when inserting a data field into a template).

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:45
    Dirk De Grave

Agree with webangelo, if you have lots of data that needs to be reused on different pages, consider moving that data to a node and use xslt, macro to get the contents of that data node

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Lee Kelleher 4022 posts 15810 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:49
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Profiterole,

Take a look at using the umbracoInternalRedirectId property - assign it to a content picker.  That way you can associate content, but have the flexibility to apply a different template, etc.

Cheers, Lee.

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 07:49
    Profiterole

Thank you guys, Lee's trick with the property works like a charm!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft