Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 21:03
    Connie DeCinko

Unable to delete or save templates

Yesterday, I was able to save templates without issue.  Today, I can create a new template, but if I try and delete a template, the tree shows "Deleting..." forever and the template never gets deleted.  If I try and save changes to any template, I get the warning to check for duplicates.  There are no duplicately named templates.

The only change from yesterday was adding some packages.  I took those out and the issue still exists.

Umbraco 4.5
    .NET 4

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5053 posts 15507 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is usually related to permission problems. Make sure that your application pool's user (usually NETWORK SERVICE) has enough permissions.

I've also once solved this by just doing an IISreset, some strange caching bug was popping up.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 16:22
    Connie DeCinko

I previously reported that there were no duplicate templates, which is what the tree showed me.  However, after much troubleshooting, apparently after reloading nodes, a duplication became visible.

Error actually was caused by two templates with the same name.  I consider this a bug.  I created a doc type, which created a matching template.  I chose to delete that doc type.  I then created a new doc type with the same name, which created a matching named template.  The result was two tempates with the same name.  I think Umbraco should have checked for an existing template with the same name and either offered to overwrite it, create a template with a different name, or not create the template at all.

• Arnt Grøstad 29 posts 49 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 11:23
    Arnt Grøstad

Connei: Did u manage to delte the templates, or do you still av the issue of the tree says Deleting....
    And nothing happens?

Nov 01, 2010 @ 12:39
    Arnt Grøstad

Or if anyone else have a solution for this, I would really be glad :)
    Im also on a
    Umbraco 4.5
    .NET 4

Yes, permission for the 'pool user is correct (as in FULL). I can easly delete document types, but not the templates. Just get 'Deleting....'

• Shgzuter 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 16:17
    Shgzuter

The issue exists when you duplicate templates (same name).  The bug is Umbraco is allowing the duplicate creation.

Nov 01, 2010 @ 19:11
    Arnt Grøstad

So I understand. But it seems really impossible to delete this, even if I change Name and/or alias. The bad thing now is that I have several templates in the Template-node that is not in use.
    I would really get rid of 'em

• kerio sp 12 posts 33 karma points
    Nov 01, 2010 @ 20:52
    kerio sp

Hello, that happened to me some days ago, have a duplicate template and impossible delete one or both. Finally I could erase both manually, just deleting from their datatables where are stored. In umbraco look for their id identidier and then log in ssms, and delete references for these templates. (be careful since it is necessary erase in 2 tables)

hope this help

Nov 03, 2010 @ 09:36
    Arnt Grøstad

Hell yeah it helped. Thanks

• Colin Browne 31 posts 52 karma points
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 18:05
    Colin Browne

I had this problem as well. Previously I had to resort to just restoring a backup of the database but good to know there is an alternate way to solve this issue!

• Patrick McAndrew 48 posts 163 karma points
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 11:54
    Patrick McAndrew

What I've found to work is to rename one of the templates.  You should then be able to delete it.

• Marcel du Crocq 18 posts 38 karma points
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 16:37
    Marcel du Crocq

Dear Arnt,

Could you Please explain were I can find the Datatables and how to find the ID etc etc?

Thnx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft