Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:29
    Ian Smedley

Remove Parent Document Type

Hi all,

I've had a quick search and browse of the forums/wiki, but I haven't found quite what I am looking for..

I've got a "master" or "parent" document type, which holds a bunch of  regularly used fields, which are used for all pages, for instance, Page Title, umbracoNaviHide, MetaDescription, ShortTitle (for breadcrumb) etc. etc.

I have many document types which inherit from this, but there is one document type which we never display as an actual page, the document type is added to the content tree, and the details are used by the parent page, via XSLT etc.

So now all these page related fields, some which have mandatory options are an unwanted pest when adding this document type to the content tree.

There are probably hundreds of these document types already added, what I want to do is remove the inheritance, without affecting any of the data already added, is there a safe and simple SQL hack that can be done?

Running Umbraco 4.0.4.1

Thanks for your time,

Ian.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:39
    Tom Fulton

Not sure if there's a 'simple' hack for that, but you might have a look at this package that allows you to change master doc types, maybe you could switch this doctype to inherit from a different master without the page fields?

I haven't used this before and would definately test in a dev environment first :)

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/doc-type-extensions

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:44
    Ian Smedley

Thanks for the link, I think I came across a reference to this package, in a previous post, but the URL didn't work, and I couldn't find it....

Sounds like it should work, but as you say, I should set-up and test in a dev environment first - I'll let you know the outcome.

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 18:55
    Peter Duncanson

Hey Ian,

Matt's package will do what you want or you can edit the tables directly if you a happy doing that. All you have to do is set the masterContentType field in cmsContentType and that should do it.

Pete

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft