Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wiwa 3 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 11:00
    wiwa

Bread Crumb and search field

umbraco v 3.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.2825.21247)

We have started to make big sitewide Search Engine Optimising work to our Client and few issues popped up.

1. Is there any way to find out the used search words (in the customers domain)?
    If there is, please tell me how to.

2. Is it possible to have breadcrumb navigation incuded to the sub pages (ie. products > oils > synthtetic > etc ) , if so please tell/show me how.

I have been using Umbraco just few times mainly updating pages.  I am not so skilled in templates,  copy paste things goes.

Im very sorry if this is a wrong forum, or this topic is already filled, but this is first time I use this forum.

Br

Wiwa

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 11:04
    Dirk De Grave

wiwa,

If you need some help on these questions, it would be best to include:

- what search functionality you're currently using? Is it xslt search? Or something else?

- provide some insight on your page structure and current xslt to display the breadcrumb. It's too hard to get you a solution otherwise.

Looking forward to your info.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Bas Schouten 135 posts 233 karma points
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 11:05
    Bas Schouten

Hi Wiwa,

There is a video available for creating a breadcrumb: http://umbraco.org/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/xslt-in-umbraco-45/creating-a-breadcrumb

I dont know a way to log search words in Umbraco. If u are using Google Analytics it is easy to setup.

Bas

Aug 30, 2010 @ 14:08
    wiwa

Hi Thank you for you fast reply,

Here is the xslt structure..so I suppose the site is using xslt search...no breadcrumb??

Aug 30, 2010 @ 14:21
    Dirk De Grave

Ok, seems you're using xslt search... there's multiple options finding out what search words were used.. As Bas already mentioned, GA is probably a good place to start

Or you could quite easily log the search words as those search terms will be appended to the querystring while searching the site.

As for the breadcrumb, well, hard to tell what to do next as you'll need to find out first what xslt is being used (could try the Navi.xslt, NaviSE.xslt of the SubNavi.xslt). Get us some insight on these files combined with a screenie of your content structure and we might be able to help.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Aug 30, 2010 @ 14:23
    Bas Schouten

This is the xslt i use as breadcrumb.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [  <!ENTITY nbsp "&#x00A0;">]>
    <xsl:stylesheet
      version="1.0"
      xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
     xmlns:msxml="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
     xmlns:umbraco.library="urn:umbraco.library" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltCommon="urn:Exslt.ExsltCommon" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes="urn:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltMath="urn:Exslt.ExsltMath" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions="urn:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltStrings="urn:Exslt.ExsltStrings" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltSets="urn:Exslt.ExsltSets"
     exclude-result-prefixes="msxml umbraco.library Exslt.ExsltCommon Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes Exslt.ExsltMath Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions Exslt.ExsltStrings Exslt.ExsltSets ">
      <xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
      <xsl:param name="currentPage"/>
      <xsl:variable name="minLevel" select="1"/>
      <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:if test="$currentPage/@level &gt; $minLevel">
          <ul>
     <li>
     <a href="/">
      Home
     </a>
     </li>
            <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor::node [@level &gt; $minLevel and string(data [@alias='umbracoNaviHide']) != '1']">
              <li>
                <a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}">
                  <xsl:value-of select="@nodeName"/>
                </a>
              </li>
            </xsl:for-each>
            <li>
              <xsl:value-of select="$currentPage/@nodeName"/>
            </li>
          </ul>
        </xsl:if>
      </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 14:35
    Dirk De Grave

Breadcrumb code seems fine, maybe check whether the xslt is included in the templates that build up the subpages. Any url we can take a peek at?

Cheers,

/Dirk

Aug 30, 2010 @ 14:43
    Bas Schouten

This is an example of a site where the code is used.
    http://www.cmc-mobility.com/

Aug 30, 2010 @ 17:34
    wiwa

Wow! thank you.

After creating the new xslt, (I am still scrabble my head, I don't know yet how to create a new xslt, but I am getting there?)

but I suppose  that you have put some line on code into tempales in order the template will use the xslt?

Sorry and thanks again!

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 18:00
    Jamie Howarth

Hi wiwa,

Yes, you must create a macro first (go to Settings > right-click on Macros > Create, give it a name such as "Breadcrumb"), which identifies your XSLT as the functionality to implement when it's inserted into a masterpage (in the right pane, select the XSLT from the drop-down list presented and save the macro).

Then you can go to Templates and insert your macro there.

HTH,

Benjamin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft