Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tomas 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 10, 2010 @ 14:51
    Tomas

Template created in Visual Studio and copied to /masterpages/ not visible in Umbraco CMS

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Umbraco development. I've installed umbraco 4.5.1 on IIS 7 running on Windows 7. I've set up my dev environment with a separate web project that xcopys my files to the umbraco installation in the post build event, as suggested in the following blog post: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/working-in-visual-studio-when-developing-umbraco-solutions .

Now I have created a new Template (MasterPage) in Visual studio and the .master file is copied into the umbraco installations /masterpages/ folder. The strange thing is that the new template is not visible in under the Templates node in the Umbraco CMS user interface (under Settings). I thaught that Umbraco 4 and above should read and write Templates to the file system and not the DB, and hence, adding a .master file to the /masterpages/ folder would make the template usable from the Umbraco CMS Interface.

Can anyonw please explain what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks alot!

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22220 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Oct 10, 2010 @ 22:58
    Matt Brailsford

Hi Thomas,

Umbraco does save Template files in the Templates folder, but the tree is driven from the database so you'll have to create the Template via the UI first. Once you've created it, you'll have a template in your Templates folder, then you can edit / replace it with your template from visual stuido.

Matt

• Rick 13 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 19:14
    Rick

Matt,

I've inherited a massive site running Umbraco 4.8.1 that is still using the old templating model. I'd like to convert it to the masterpages model. There are 274 templates. Is there an easy way to convert them?

Thanks,

Rick

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft