Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg 14 posts 34 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 18:33
    Greg

Template builder plugin

Is there a plugin that will allow CMS users to build their own templates on the fly?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 18:50
    Rich Green

Hi Greg,

Firstly, welcome :)

I don't know of one but have never found one necessary.

Perhaps you could explain what it is you're looking to achieve as I'm sure there will be a way to make it work.

Rich

• Greg 14 posts 34 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 20:26
    Greg

The job I'm spec'ing out at the moment has the requirement to let teams within the organisation create custom page layouts within a main template. The header and footer and the majority of styles would stay the same but they would be able to set up things such as the number of columns, different content areas (text, image, Flash etc), headings, pull-quotes, side bars and all the other things that make up the content of a page.

The main thing being that they can affect the structure of the template (within the bounds of a master template), not just the content of pages that use that template. 

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 13:10
    Rich Green

Hey Greg,

You can certainly do this with Umbraco.

Every Doc Type can have multiple templates, so you can display the same data in anyway you like, this can be changed by the end user but essentially they can not edit the templates (otherwise your designer would probably not be too happy).

With regards to the side bars, most certainly, have a read of Hendys post here about side bar widgets http://blog.hendyracher.co.uk/sidebar-widgets-with-umbraco-v4/

The idea is (IMO) not to ever have an end user mess around with HTML/Layout in the templates but give them elements which they can re-use and layout as they want to.

Hope this makes sense, not sure how new you are to Umbraco but it's not hard to achieve what you are wanting to do, just maybe a different way of thinking that just a 'plug in'.

Let me know if you need any more help, I use side modules /quotes and alternate layouts in most of my projects and it works really well.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft