Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dennis Mnuskin 7 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 08:56
    Dennis Mnuskin

Where does pageName field come from

Hi everyone, I'm very new to Umbraco.  I installed Blog4Umbraco and trying to follow through the document types, templates, master pages and macros to connect the dots and figure out how this thing actually works.

I noticed BlogMaster template has an item field "pageName".  However, I can't find anywhere the definition of this field.  Although, I could use edumacated guess to figure out what it means, it does leave me curious what other fields I do not know about.  Is there a complete list of these fields anywhere?

I did find documentation for currentPage element in XSLT and that lists has a bunch of predefined attributes, but pageName is not one of them.   Are those attributes available in templates as well? or that only for XSLTs?

Last question is about Blogpost template, which refers to "bodyText" item field.  This template is used by "Blog Post" document type, which is where "bodyText" property comes from.  Makes sense.  However, this template is a child template of BlogMaster, which uses other properties such as "blogName".  Blog name is not defined in that document type.  So how does that name get resolved?  Does it come from parent document because blog entries appear as children of blog documents in the content view?  If that is the case, are all properties always inherited by children documents?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 09:06
    Dirk De Grave

pageName refers to the name of the document in the content tree. It's one of those standard available umbraco field names. All standard fields can be found in the dropdown when you're adding a field on a template from the 'Insert field' dialog.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 09:10
    Dirk De Grave

Should be answering you're other questions as well... currentPage in xslt is a parameter (variable) passed through to the xslt macro and references the current page that's being requested through the browser.

Properties can be retrieved recursively as well. But there's a difference in inheritance on document type level versus masterpages syntax. If for example Blog Post were a child doc type of Blog, it would inherit all properties of Blog, so if 'blogName' is defined on the Blog document type, it'll be available on any document of type Blog Post as well.

Hope this clears things up. If not, let us know what's still unclear.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Dennis Mnuskin 7 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 09:20
    Dennis Mnuskin

Thank you, Dirk.  That does clear up few things.  I've looked in lot of places but not in those wizard buttons. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft