Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Some Person 15 posts 35 karma points
    Nov 03, 2010 @ 23:26
    Some Person

Templates or skins? Any sites?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what pre-fabricated templates/themes/skins are actually called? They are addressed as skins in the blog but templates everywhere else, so I just wanted to clear its up!

Also, like WordPress has, is there any premium template/theme/skin services out there?

Cheers / Ryan

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2010 @ 23:53
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ryan,

At the moment, they are being called Starter Kits.  There is no standard structure to how those templates/skins are defined, this is mostly due to Umbraco's flexible nature with defining document-types.

Whereas with software like WordPress, which at its heart is a blogging platform, the content is always going to have a title, content, date, categories, tags, etc. So themes are easier to develop.

With the next release of Umbraco (v4.6 aka JUNO) - the focus will be on Starter Kits and skinning.

As far as I'm aware, there are no premium theme services for Umbraco ... but hopefully that will change in the next year or so!

Cheers, Lee.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 10:01
    Some Person

Hi,

I'm starting a premium template/skin site but I dont know what name to brand it under?

www.umbracotemplates.org

or

www.umbracoskins.org

What do you think?

Thanks / Ryan

Nov 04, 2010 @ 10:12
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ryan,

You will need permission from Umbraco HQ if you want to use the word "Umbraco" in your business/website name.  I'm pretty sure they'll say no - as they need to protect their brand/trademark. (Remember Umbraco is both an open-source project as well as a commercial venture!)

Best bet is to talk with the HQ about branding/naming.  Better to work with them, than against them. ;-)

A few packages were asked to rename last year - "umbImport" changed to "cmsImport", and "umbMailer" changed to "cmsMailer".

As for the premium template/skin site itself - great idea!  My advice would be to watch the development of v4.6 (JUNO) very closely, as that will be the foundation for future Starter Kits, templates, skins, etc.

Best of luck!

Cheers, Lee.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:02
    Some Person

Hey,

I have professional designs ect. sorted.

I will contact the team. Do you have any naming ideas that exclude the brand name?

Cheers / Ryan

Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:07
    Lee Kelleher

As far as I am aware, "Umbraco" and "Umb" (prefix) should not be used.

A few projects have opted to use a lowercase "u" prefix. e.g. uCommerce, uComponents, uTube, etc.

uThemes? uSkins? ... send my cheque in the post! ;-)

Cheers, Lee.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:12
    Some Person

LOL, just come on the project!

So whats you favorite?

www.utemplates.org

www.uskins.org

www.uthemes.org

Cheers / Ryan

• julian k 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 13:54
    julian k

I have just downloaded Umbraco and it looks great. the thing is I dont want to create all the styling from scratch.

Are there any sites where i can download a  pre-fabricated templates/themes/skins ????

• PedroM. 28 posts 87 karma points
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 16:41
    PedroM.

Just for a reference to some themes for Umbraco can have a look to BindTuning.com

Sells themes for Umbraco, all customizable to fit your branding.

In 30 minutes have a sharp looking Umbraco theme installed and running vs. 1 to 2 weeks of custom development.

You also can try the trials installing in your enviroment before buying a theme.

Have a try http://bindtuning.com/cms/umbraco/themes
  • David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    May 29, 2014 @ 13:24
    David Conlisk

You could also check out http://www.themebraco.com

You can sign up on the site to hear about the full launch and be one of the first to hear about our new themes. We believe that we have come up with a solid, flexible solution that will allow users to create the site that they want, while still remaining beautifully designed, responsive, and a high quality Umbraco-based solution. Unlike other "Umbraco" themes out there, our themes are built exclusively for Umbraco.

Check it out and decide for yourself at http://www.themebraco.com

Disclaimer: I built the Themebraco site :)

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 13:17
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

If your looking for Umbraco Themes/Starter Kits a new service from uSkinned has just been launched.

The aim is to provide professionally designed Themes that are integrated fully with the Umbraco CMS. There are a few designs available at the moment with more soon to follow.

You will find out everything you need to know about the service from the website and their are useful guide videos to demonstrate how the starter kits are put together.

Cheers,

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft