Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 22:08
    Chad Rosenthal

Master template is the same as the current template.

I'm using Umbraco 4.5.2 and I keep seeing the following error in my Trace.

"Master template is the same as the current template. It would course an endless loop!"

The page does display properly. Weird.

I checked all of my templates, and they look fine to me. As a test, I removed the Master tag and the content tag. The error went away. I added them back in and saved. The error did not return.

A few minutes later, my IIS crashes. It has been crashing a lot recently on this site. (hence why I'm going through the trace) I run iisreset, the site comes back and so does the masterpage error.

Any ideas? Places to start looking?

Thanks,

C

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 13:13
    Tim

Check that the MasterPageFile directive at the top of the page isn't the same as the current template name as well, that's usually the cause of the error you're getting.

If that all looks ok, can you post the source of the masterpage that you're having problems with please?

Cheers,

Tim.

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 14:31
    Chad Rosenthal

That's the bizarre part of the error. If I reset IIS and load a page, I get the error. If I then click F5 and check again. The error is gone. So under that logic the page should be set-up correctly...right?

Standard Page

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/masterpages/MasterTemplate.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" runat="server">
      <div id="contentMain">
      </div><!-- /main -->
    </asp:Content>

Master Template

<%@ Master Language="C#"  AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<asp:contentplaceholder id="MainContent" runat="server" />

I got rid of most of the code to just show the master/child relationship. The MasterTemplate used to have a link to the /umbraco/masterpages/default.master, but I removed that to try and figure out where this error came from.

To be honest, I was tracking an error that was causing my IIS to crash and I thought this was it. Turns out, it had to do with xsl:includes. So if we can't figure it out, no biggee.

-C

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft