Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hugh 6 posts 26 karma points
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 12:37
    hugh

umbraco and simple page list control

Hi,

I am new to umbraco and have gone through the basic videos. I have created a newspage document type and created newspages. What I want to do is create a list of news page items on my homepage.

I was hoping there would be a simple list type control where I can select the document type for the list and then the fields/properties from the document type to be rendered in the list. Is there anyway of doing this apart from getting involved in the nut and bolts of  XSLT? Its such a common and basic thing that a CMS should do!

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 16:11
    Kim Andersen

Hey

I don't think that you can create this list without some kind of XSLT or .NET.

But it's pretty easy as you can use one of the predefined XSLT files in Umbraco. If you go to the developer section, right-click the XSLT and choose the Create option. Now you can give the file a name, and use the "List Sub Pages From A Changeable Source" predefined XSLT template. When you insert this macro on your template, you can choose a "Source node". You'll have to choose the node that has news a childnodes. Now the XSLT file will generate an unordered list (<ul>) with your news.

I hope the above makes sense or at least can give you an idea to how you can achieve what you want.

/Kim A

Jan 05, 2011 @ 17:19
    hugh

I replied but tis site doesn't seem to work ... can't see my replies anywhere

Jan 05, 2011 @ 21:38
    Kim Andersen

Maybe you could try to reply once more in here just like you just did :)

/Kim A      

Jan 07, 2011 @ 18:22
    hugh

ok we're back :) ... thanks for your reply Kim.

So I have my News Page List macro with a content picker defined. When Inserted in the relevant template none of the child news page nodes are rendered.

I have to say ... I think Umbraco made a mistake when going with XSLT. I think its ok to use as an engine, but Umbraco need to find a way to shield developers from it. If that happens I think Umbraco could be even more popular.

Jan 08, 2011 @ 00:19
    Kim Andersen

Hmm...Could you try showing us the XSLT that you have so far? This way it will be a lot more easy for us to see what's going on with your code.

As to the comment about XSLT and Umbraco I have to totally disagree with you :) I think it's great that you can use XSLT in Umbraco, and it's makes it a lot easier for non-C#'ers to work with. In the new version on umbraco (4.6), you can use RAZOR, and that's maybe a better way for some people, while XSLT is a lot better for others, and C# is still "da bomb" for some other people.

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft