Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 16:36
    Andy

Basic Product Detail Functionality

Hi All, I am a new Umbraco user but have been using other CMS's for a while. So far I like the look of Umbraco and feel I have a good handle of the basic concepts etc...

I am however struggling to find examples and information about creating a basic data list that can be filtered and sorted, displayed as a summary and then clicked on to view details. For example a product catalogue.

Guessing you create create a Product document type and assign categories etc... How would you then list this data and provide basic sorting, category filtering and paging? I also want to be able to provide a SEO friendly URL to view the details  of each product.  Other systems I have used makke use of dynamic url parameters to automaticly filter results for example /products/category/productname

Thanks for your help,

Andy

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 21:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy

I think that how you approach it depends on your needs. It can be solved in different ways.

If I get the ghist of what you're asking for correctly I think the following could be the right approach for you.

1) Define the following document types "Products", "Product" and "Category".

2) Define the properties you need on each document type

3) Define the structure for the document types. Make it possible to create a category under the products node and to create a product under a category

4) Create a new datatype of the type "dropdown" named "sort order" and add the prevalues "ascending" and "descending".

5) Define a new datatype of the type "dropdown" named "sort by" and add some prevalues you want to sort by. Like "date", "title" etc

6) Go back to step two and add the newly defined datatypes to handle sorting on the "category" document type.

7) Now create a XSLT macro to render the product lists and place it on your templates.

This is an example of the approach you could be taking from the top of my head. So there can be things that I have missed to create and there's possible things that could be made in a better way.

I'm thinking you can have a rich text property on "products" and "category" datatypes, since I'm considering them as visible pages, where the categories are listed on the "products" page and the "product" pages are listed on the category pages. You'll of course also need to add properties to define page titles, keywords and other meta tag stuff.

I hope the above makes sense and gives you some inspiration to a starting point.

And please don't hesitate to ask any question you encounter in here. We're a friendly bunch that likes to help each other out :-)

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2011 @ 10:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy

did you make progress on this? :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft