Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dominik 711 posts 733 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:13
    dominik

csshover3.htc problem

Hello

I´ve got a csshover3.htc file which fixes the IE 6 hover problem.

If I test it local all is working but it does not work in Umbraco.

The file must be in the root directory (if I use a normal HTML site this work)

But I do not know where to paste it within Umbraco.

I tested:

www/inetpub/

www/inetpub/css/

www/inetpub/masterpages/

Somebody any idea?

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:22
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Dominik,

How do you mean, it doesn't workin in Umbraco?

You should just be able to drop it in your webroot (www/inetpub/). 2 things I would check are:

1) Umbraco isn't trying to intercept the url (if it is, add the url to the reserved urls in the web.config app settings)

2) Check the file is being served, your server may not server the file as it won't know the extension, in which case you may need to setup a mime type in IIS to tell it what to do with .htc files

If none of these work, I could do with know exactly how it's not working.

Many thanks

Matt

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:27
    dominik

ok how do i see if umbtraco is trying to intercept the url?

If i copy the file into www/inetpub/ the navigation doesnt work in IE6

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:30
    Matt Brailsford

Hi Domink

If you drop the file in the root (www/inetpub) then navigate to it in your brower (http://yourdomain.com/csshover3.htc) you should get 1 of three things

1) The actual file, in which case everything should be fine

2) An umbraco error, in which case umbraco is intercepting the url, so you should follow suggestion 1 from above

3) You get a not found or similar, in wich case the file can't ber served, so you should follow suggestion 2 from above

Give those a try and see if they help.

Cheers

Matt

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:36
    dominik

if I try to open the file a download window appears

The IIS know the type .htc but it still doesnt work.

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:39
    Matt Brailsford

Ok, so that suggests there is nothing wrong with the serving of the file.

Are we talking front end or back end navigation? (I'm assuming front, but just to make sure)

Have you tried using a http traffic monitor (there is one built into the firebug plugin for firefox) which will show you which files are being requested. You may want to run this to check the .htc file is actually requested, and whether it's looking in the right place?

Matt

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:41
    dominik

Yes it is a frontend css dropdown navigation:

this is what i found:

csshover.htc file has been saved to the same directory as the file you're working on

This works fine within my html example but not in umbraco

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:44
    Matt Brailsford

Is this all running locally? or somewhere I can be able to see this issue for myself?

If the file is being requested successfully, and your code is looking for it in the right places, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working.

Matt

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:48
    dominik

no it is all running locally. But i think the problem is, that on my html template i uses this structure:

root:
    index.html
    csshover3.htc

but on Umbraco the aspx files are not in the root so this does not work I think

here is some info about this file:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/csshover.html

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:51
    Matt Brailsford

Hmmm, maybe just try changing your delcaration to this:

body { behavior: url("/csshover3.htc"); } 

The back slash at the begining should tell it to look for the file from the root of the site.

Matt

Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:56
    dominik

normally you are right but in this case it isnt

here is what the author of the "plugin" wrotes:

whatever:hover to the body element, and you're all set. Note that behavior URLs are relative to the html file, not to the CSS file like a background image URL would be.

I also tested it with /csshover3.htc and it doesnt work

The problem is the file has to be in the same path as the aspx files

Jan 14, 2011 @ 13:06
    Matt Brailsford

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the / should work.

The problem is i'm not sure how it works under the hood, so is it relative to the URL in the browser, or the "actual" url. If it's based on the URL in the browser, you may need to look at URL rewrites (I really don't think that is the case though).

I've just checked an old project which i used a similar technique (though not umbraco) which works and uses a path containing a /:

http://www.favouritefamilychippy.co.uk/css/ffca.ie6.css

I'm not sure what else I can suggest then really without seeing it. I'm not 100% convinced the file is being loaded correctly, but the HTTP traffic monitor should notify you of that. Otherwise I'd check the source of the .htc file iteself to see if it has any paths in any maybe set them relative to the route (again, I don't think this would be the case).

Matt

• Martin Barker 9 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 13:12
    Martin Barker

That should work,

The '/csshover3.htc' will be correct for both CSS and HTML file as long as your file exsits on the server so if you add what he said it should still work as that path is correct from every location posible on your site.

Jan 14, 2011 @ 13:14
    dominik

i just add a javascript instead of this csshover file and now it works. I tryed it also with absolute path /csshover3.htc but this doesnt work

thanks for help

Jan 14, 2011 @ 13:16
    Matt Brailsford

Strange. Would have liked to have know what the actual issue was, but glad you have it working now anyway.

Matt

• Tony Bolton 83 posts 109 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 22:51
    Tony Bolton

Hello chaps,

Thought I'd post this here, as I had a very similar issue with a .htc file for CSS3 PIE which renders rounded corners.

Basically IIS was finding the .htc file no problem, but weirdly it wasn't 'kicking in', and I was getting no output where I expected it.  I found this post after endless searching, and whilst I didn't have exactly the same issue the end result was the same - it wasn't working.

In the end I figured it out - my symptoms were the panel would render briefly with no rounded corners then just 'disappear'.  No errors or anything in IIS - and Umbraco certainly wasn't causing it.  I finally sussed it and stuck 'position:relative' to the CSS class, and that sorted it out - so appeared to be something to do with the z-index property.

Like I said, not exactly the same issue, but as I found this post searching for the .htc issue figured this would be the best place to pop this note so hope it helps :)

Cheers,

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft