Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 22:21
    Paul A

Categorising/tagging pages mulitple ways

Hi all,

I just wanted to check if I'm going about this site setup in the correct way before I get knee deep and realise everything is upside down!

Basically the site I'm building will have 'pages'. The 'pages' are grouped together into countries (can be a static list) and each 'page' is also grouped into categories. Countries are grouped together into regions (this is also a static list).

That's all fine but after getting a third of it built I found that Copy Node doesnt' do what I thought it did. I'd planned to copy pages into the different countries it might be in, which were in turn grouped under regions. Phew, are you confused yet?

Should I just be using datatypes, that can be selected as tickboxes?

End result is, I want to add a page, tick the countries in each of the different regions, then tick all the categories it's in. I'll then code some xslt to run through all of that and pick out what goes where. I'll cross that bridge later.

Cheers,

(had 5 hours sleep yesterday, so if this doesn't make sense, please let me know!)

P.S. I'd rather not use the tagging system Umbraco uses... Not a fan. I'd rather see a list of the options and tick which I want and have a textbox for 'other'.

Mar 01, 2011 @ 22:35
    Paul A

Aaah, the Muenchian Method ... Why didn't I think of that!

(?)

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/xslt-useful-tips-and-snippets/grouping-output

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 23:19
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Paul,

not really sure if this is what you need but this is what I usually do:

- each item (in  your case page) has a primary 'category' which is given by the node hierarchy, e.g. your tree looks like Products -> location -> Product with location then being the primary category. It is also important when deciding which category will be the primary one to think about Url structure.

- Usually I want my secondary tags to be editable, so I end up creating nodes outside of the web site which will then be used as tags, e.g.

Web site
      Products
    Data
      Category 1
        Tag1
      Category 2
        Tag2

- To add these tags to the item I create a new tab called 'Tags' or something and add some kind of list to it for each category, e.g. an Ultimate picker (depending on size), a multi node tree picker (depending on size and if it's important that he user can define some kind of order on the tags). I mostly like to save the data as comma separated node values, so you end up with category1Picker: 3256, 4412, 1324. 

Hope that makes sense,

Sascha

Mar 02, 2011 @ 23:01
    Paul A

Cheers for the reply, that's exactly what I was after. I think I'll put my 'pages' under a generic node and have two other structures for the two types of categories. Will look into all of this but it's good to know I'm on right track. Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft