Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1453 posts 1874 karma points
    Mar 11, 2011 @ 12:51
    Gordon Saxby

Nested Doc Types causes issues

We were extremely near to the end of the development of a new website using v4.6.1 / SQL Server and came across a problem with nested Document Types.

Some nesting was just for "documentation" where the parent had no properties and some did have properties to inherit.

At one point the site was working absolutely fine and then the admin site started to have problems when trying to access content pages (Content section). The error was something like "... not set to an instance of ...".

After a lot of trial and error and recreating the site step by step we found that the problem happened if we nested Doc Types. As soon as we removed all nesting the problem went away!

The site has been recreated with a flat Doc Type structure and everything is fine ... no other changes have been made to the content, templates, XSLT, etc.

I am making this post mainly to raise the issue - firstly to possibly help others and also to see if there is a known problem / fix!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5053 posts 15508 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 11, 2011 @ 18:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

First of all, which umbraco version are you using?

I have seen these errors as well, and am still succesfully using nested doctypes. The problem (for me) started after migrating to a new environment and was probably due to me messing with the old dev environment, so I can't reproduce. What does seem to help though, is to right-click the problematic node and publishing them including children (if the second checkbox isn't checked, it does not work). So I just published the whole tree again and everything works. I haven't looked very hard for the source of the problem, so I couldn't tell you what went wrong. Sometimes this also seems to happen after changing doctypes. 

In this case, I'm talking about a 4.0.4.2 install.

• Simon Dingley 1472 posts 3429 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2011 @ 18:19
    Simon Dingley

See the following work item on CodePlex, fixed in next release but may be related to you issues?

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/29889

Mar 12, 2011 @ 13:02
    Gordon Saxby

@Sebastiaan - v4.6.1 as per my orginal message

@Simon - yes, that seems like the bug we have come across, with the solution being what we have done, i.e. make the Doc Types flat rather than nested.

Worringly, I have built a few (3 / 4) websites on 4.6.1 and have used the nested approach on all of them ... !?

• Daniel Lindstrom 454 posts 271 karma points
    Mar 13, 2011 @ 03:04
    Daniel Lindstrom

Suddenly got the same issue on a 4.6.2 site that hade been working ok for a week or so. Another site in the same installation, without nested doc types works fine. 

The problem suddenly appeared on reload after I had removed the host name for the affected site. Can be a coincidence of course. I had not made any changes to the doc type hierarchy the last few days.

Upgrading to 4.7rc solved the problem, but then the xslts wouldnt render. That was easily solved deleting a few Razorengine and macroengine-related obsolete dlls according to a post here on the forum.

Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:06
    Gordon Saxby

It was enough of a risk (!?) using 4.6.1 for this very large, soon to be released, project. I can't see anyone being happy to use an RC version unfortunately!

We have reworked the Doc Types and created them without any nesting and so far all seems OK.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gordon

I understand your concerns by upgrading to a 4.7 RC...

I had this same issue on a minor site and I fixed it by upgrading to the latest nightly build of 4.6.1 - You can find the nightlies in here http://nightly.umbraco.org/umbraco%204.6/4.6.1/

I understand that this may not be the best thing to have to do on a large project that is about to go live but maybe it's the way forward. From the latest nightly you should copy over bin, install, umbraco and umbraco_client folders.

It's probably a good idea to test this on a local installation first...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Oh did miss your last line about you have recreated them without nesting. That's also a solution and I don't think you will encounter any more major bugs with this release.

Hope this projects turns out well for you.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft