Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil Killen 17 posts 37 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 16:11
    Neil Killen

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how skins work to see how we can best make use of it our solutions - I have fresh install 4.7.0.  During the skinning option on install I got the No connection to repository error.

There doesn't appear to be a way to download the skin supported web starter kits as mentioned in the documentation outside of the install process.

So I downloaded and installed Dan Dranye's Business Website Starter Kit.  Which doesn't have skinning supported out of the box.

Following the documentation I've tried to add a very a simple skin to this starterkit as a proof of concept.

/css/bigblue_starterkit.css

/css/bigblue/[some images]

/masterpages/BigBlue/Skin.xml

Skin Manifest contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Skin>
      <Name>BigBlue</Name>
      <Author>Neil Killen</Author>
      <Version>1.0</Version>
      <Description><![CDATA[]]></Description>
      <AllowedDocumentTypes>Homepage</AllowedDocumentTypes>
      <AllowedRootTemplate>Homepage</AllowedRootTemplate>
      <SkinPalette></SkinPalette>
    </Skin>

I've modified the Skinning.Config

<skinning>
        <skin alias="BigBlue" template="1047"/>
        <skin alias="BigBlue" template="1050"/>
    </skinning>

But whenever I access Umbraco -> Templates -> Master -> Homepage I don't see the Modify Template Skin Button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

• Neil Killen 17 posts 37 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:23
    Neil Killen

I've worked it out.  It would appear that skins have been designed mainly to work with Starterkits available in the repository.  However you can use your own skins for existing packages.

Having packaged up and installed my own skin.  To enable this skin on Dan Dranye's Business Website Starter Kit you need to open the /packages/installed/installedPackages.config and change enableSkins="True" for this package.  You also need to populate the repositoryGuid & packageGuid.

You will now see the Modify Template Skin Button.

• Thijs 97 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 14:50
    Thijs

Hi

How do you populate the repositoryGuid & packageGuid? I mean, where to you fetch the numbers? I try to make my own skin but the 'Modify Template Skin'-button isn't showing.

Thijs

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 15:00
    dandrayne

Hi Neil

Cool stuff, getting the skins to work on the bwsp package.  I must admit that I've never used the 'skins' before and (being a 'front end guy') prefer to get straight in with the templates, but it would be cool if you could share the method for doing this.

In fact, I'm actually leaving my current (umbraco-using) position soon so my time on being able to update this is limited.  It has been downloaded over 10,000 times so people must find it useful - in this vein I'm kinda looking for people to collaborate on the package, further dev etc.  If anyone is interested let me know.

Cheers,

Dan  

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 15:01
    dandrayne

I should have mentioned that the edits above would be to enable skin support out of the box, which could be pretty cool.  I wonder if this would require markup changes though... 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft