Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 00:19
    Connie DeCinko

How to preview content with no hostname associated

I have more than one site under a single install of Umbraco. Each has it's own hostname and domain associated with it.  I also have some content nodes off the root that are site independent, i.e. their content is used in multiple sites, i.e. events, news, etc.  Each of these specialized root level content nodes does not have a hostname or domain name associated.

Now my people want to be able to preview the content in these specialized nodes. I can create and associate a generic template for them, but they won't view or preview since they don't exist as a standalone page under any domain.  How can I preview this content?

• Trevor Loader 199 posts 256 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:18
    Trevor Loader

You could create a dummy page in the site where you do want this information to be displayed, and the template for the dummy page call an xslt that gets and displays the information from the page at the root level.

Eg, use GetXmlNodeById (or url) whatever you are more comfortable with.

<xsl:variable name="thePage" select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById('String id')"/>

This one xslt/template could be called from each dummy page under each site you have.

Hope that helps.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 22:45
    Connie DeCinko

Problem is, how do I hide those dummy pages.  It's a workaround, just not very clean.  And, you'd have to view/preview outside the node you are editing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft