Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aaronb 97 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 02:41
    aaronb

Is there a datatype which allows multiple line item entries?

I have run into an issue for the first time. I'm looking at a pretty sizeable site (10k pages) which will most likely be on inexpensive shared hosting.

It has a product catalog, and each product has a varying number of sizes, up to about 30.

The only two ways I know of doing this right now is 1) use an html table in the richtext editor, or 2) have each 'size' entry as a child node of the product.

#1 is not an option because TinyMCE's table management and optimization will result in a frustrated client, and #2 makes me a bit concerned that the site will be so large it may have issues with the hosting.

If there was something which would let me create multiple 'rows' that would work perfectly.

Failing that, is my concern of site size/quantity of nodes a valid one?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• aghy 129 posts 308 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 03:29
    aghy

Hi Aaron,

You could have a look at the MultiType Datatype. It will allow you to create multiple rows or simple data and looks nice and simple for the client.

Or if you already use uComponents you could upgrade to the latest version and there is a datatype called DataType Grid. I haven't used it but I think its very similar to MultiType.

Ben

Jun 24, 2011 @ 16:11
    aaronb

Thanks very much. I have installed and set up the MultiType datatype, but when I browse to the content tree I get an asp error:

Multiple controls with the same ID 'mySpecs' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

I've tried renaming the data type field but the error comes back with the new name replacing 'mySpecs'.

Any suggestions or tips would be awesome, this seems like it's just what I need if I can get it working.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 16:36
    Rich Green

Hey,

If you can't get MultiType working I can 2nd the recommendation the uComponents DataType Grid, I use it alot.

Rich

Jun 24, 2011 @ 16:37
    aghy

Did you get the 1.1.1 version? I thought I had fixed this problem.

Thanks
    Ben

Jun 24, 2011 @ 16:42
    aghy

The only way I can reproduce this error is if I add two properties to a document type and both have the same alias. If this is the case then change the alias of one of the properties as you should have unique alias' on your document types.

Ben

Jun 24, 2011 @ 16:44
    aaronb

yep, I just double checked the packages screen and it reports 1.1.1

I tried adding it to another site on another server but got the same thing.

Edit: there is definitely not another property with the same alias on the document type (or even on any other document type).

unrelated question - when you've added multiple entries, is it possible to re-sort them in the content pane or would that need to be done via a sort field and xslt?

I tried ucomponents but it's killed the whole site. (not a problem it was a clean install)

thanks again for the help

Jun 24, 2011 @ 17:10
    aghy

Very strange, could you describe what you did after installing the package? If I can reproduce the error then I will have a better idea about how to fix it for you.

As for sorting, once you've added multiple items then the content editor can move them about so they are in a different order and they must press save to save them in that order. Then you must craete an xslt which contains something like this:

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/labelsAndValues/Items/Item">
        <xsl:sort select="./@sortId"/>
    </xsl:if>

This makes use of the sort order that gets saved with each item.

Thanks
    Ben

Jun 24, 2011 @ 17:18
    aaronb

Sure, I'll go through all the steps I took because I'm not a programmer.

- downloaded the zip for 1.1.1 and installed local package. Confirmed all messages (binary files etc.), successfully installed.

- went to the data types section, and created a new data type called myDataType. left the limit field alone (on zero) and added a couple of properties, both text fields with different names and aliases.

- went to the document types, and added a 'myDataType' control to the textpage document type. Gave it a unique name and alias. Saved the document type.

- browsed to the content tree, and selected a text page. That's where I see the error in the right-hand side content pane. If I remove the control from the document type and go back to the content tree, it all shows up normally again.

This is running on an older version (4.6 I believe), so if you'd prefer I can try reinstalling it with 4.7 and trying the above again.

Jun 24, 2011 @ 17:26
    aghy

Hmm that could be the problem, I've built everything against umbraco 4.7.

When I created the package it would only let me say it was compatable with 4.5+ but now I see it can be 4.7 I will change it when I release my updated code. Hopefully this weeked :S

You could try umbraco 4.7 I fairly confident it will work because it does for me.

Thanks
    Ben

Jun 24, 2011 @ 17:28
    aaronb

I'll replace my install with 4.7 over the weekend and let you know how it went. Thanks a ton for looking into this.

Jul 10, 2011 @ 17:01
    aaronb

I've installed this on a 4.7 and no issues this time around.

Sorry - edited my question because I found the answers I was looking for in the package details. This is working great, thank you.

Jul 10, 2011 @ 19:04
    aghy

Hey,

I will eventually get round to making some proper documentation for this package. 

Have fun with it. Any problems let me know.

Thanks
    Ben 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft