Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jules 273 posts 584 karma points
    Jul 07, 2011 @ 17:52
    Jules

How could I approach this ? :-)

Hi I have an interesting project that I am exploring at the moment.

I will simplify in order to explain.

There are 4 templates each of which will be used to create a layout similar to below.  Each layout will display 15 product images.  There are about 1500 products so about 100 of these layouts will be generated.

I am relatively new to Umbraco but know the basics quite well having completed 4 projects. Anyway I would usually do all the above working from a normalised database. I would have a templates table related to a boxes table. The boxes table would store all of the css layout information.

In addition we would have something like the following table arrangement: 

Templates --< Layouts --< LayoutBoxes --< Boxes

This would allow me to assign a template to a layout and then access all of the box layout info for that template.  Table LayoutBoxes would also have product id in it so we could assign the products to a specific box.

Still here??? Respect!!!

Anyway I would love to do this in umbraco becuase it would make other content management aspects of this project much smoother.  I could do all of this using usercontrols and base this part of it on a separate database but there must be a better Umbraco way of doing this with document types templates and content pages and xslt. And I really want to learn more about Umbraco as well so have been looking for a more challenging project like this.

Because of the complexity of the data relations, I am not entirely sure of a general approach here.

Can anyone advise on a general approach?

Thanks

Jules

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft