Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Young 19 posts 39 karma points
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 16:05
    Phil Young

Allow users to choose stylesheets

Hi all,

I'm working on a site (4.7) where each 'section' requires a supplementary stylesheet in order to provide the correct styles. I've just spent some time creating templates for each section where the only difference between them is the css reference at the top:

<link href="/css/blue.css" />

Aside from this difference between templates, they're identical which means I have lots of duplicate templates where there only difference is the stylesheet reference. Is there a clever way to allow the editors to select which stylesheet gets added without having to create a page from a 'blue' template for example?

Ideally, I'd have a dropdown or similar that allowed them to select where they're creating the new page. then behind the scenes, that selection would map to a stylesheet that would then get added to the page, such as:

Section 1 = pink.css

Section 2 = green.css

The only way I can think of doing this is to add the following to the template:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/<umbraco:Item runat="server" field="section" />.css?v=2">

and then creating a textstring property called 'section' on the template where they have to manually type the name of the stylesheet that needs loading to provide the right styles for that section. I dont link this idea becuase it means they need to always spell it correctly, they need to know what is available, and it just feels hacky. A pre-populated dropdown would be neater, but still feels wrong.

Is there anything that already does this in Umbraco? I'm using a clean install so no starter kits installed.

Thanks for any help, Phil

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 21:51
    Dirk De Grave

Phil,

I don't think a stylesheet chooser datatype exists in umbraco, but would be pretty straightforward to build one.

Just create a user control, add some code to list all available stylesheets and to retrieve/save selected stylesheet.

Create a datatype and use usercontrol wrapper as render control;

Add new property on your doc type where datatype is your newly created datatype

Cheers,

/Dirk.

• Karl Campeau 12 posts 34 karma points
    Jul 21, 2011 @ 00:02
    Karl Campeau

I had the same need and I just implemented the following within 4.7 and it appears to work great.

The uComponents package has a file picker data type that allows you to select a file from a directory.  I created my own data type "Style Sheet Picker" and selected "uComponents: File Picker" as the Render control.  I then browsed my folder structure and selected my css folder.  I setup a document type with a "Style Sheet" property that uses my "Style Sheet Picker" data type which allows me to select a stylesheet for a content page.  The control returns the file path "e.g. /css/DefaultSite.css".  Add "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<umbraco:Item field="styleSheet" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>" />" to your template to pull in the slected stylesheet.

File Picker Demo:

http://ucomponents.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FilePicker&referringTitle=Documentation

uComponent Downloads:

http://ucomponents.codeplex.com/releases

I hope this helps!

Karl

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:21
    Dirk De Grave

Awesome Karl,

Didn't know about this. A big +1 for you! I should look more often into uComponents' functionality :D

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Phil Young 19 posts 39 karma points
    Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:08
    Phil Young

Thank you guys, thats perfect.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft