Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• suzyb 474 posts 932 karma points
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 22:58
    suzyb

Because it is apparently too difficult for our clients to select a value from a drop down we have to "idiot proof" the site.  Which basically means we will have to create a seperate document type for each of the 3 potential textpage templates as they can't or rather shouldn't need to learn how to change the template themselves.

As the site is already built it means there is a lot of nodes that will need their doctype changed from "textpage" to one of the 3 new ones.  Which could take some time to re-enter the property values and content.

Is there any way of doing this without having to delete and recreate the nodes.  Or will I have to spend my weekend deleting and recreating pages.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 00:32
    Rich Green

Are all doc types going to have exactly the same properties?

If so you're ideal set up would be to use a Master DocType

MasterDocType (all properties)

- DocType1 (no properties)

- DocType2 (no properties)

- DocType3 (no properties)

To change the doctypes you could do this directly in the database (backing up first of course), again assuming all the fields are exactly the same.

Not sure of which tables exactly but Hendy explains the schema well here http://blog.hendyracher.co.uk/umbraco-database-part-1/

Rich

• suzyb 474 posts 932 karma points
    Jul 29, 2011 @ 15:46
    suzyb

The doc types were to have all the same properties so I did as you mentioned and created them all as children of a master doctype.  Then, referring to the article you linked to I edited the database directly to update the documents to use the new doctypes.  All seems to have worked well.

Thanks Rich.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft