Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gert Peter Brigsted 30 posts 61 karma points
    Aug 10, 2011 @ 20:06
    Gert Peter Brigsted

Thousands of child nodes

I'm rewriting an old site, written in classic ASP, to use Umbraco. It's a recipe site that currently has several thousand recipes, and they do not have any particular grouping. They have categories, but a recipe can be in several categories. Obviously I'm not going to leave all these recipes in the same folder, so I need some way of distributing the equally, and still have an easy way of navigating to a certain recipe.

So I was thinking of doing it something like this. Make a document type called "RecipeFolder", and place a node of this type beside the front page content node. Then I was planning to (automatically via an actionhandler or some other cleverness) place RecipeFolders with the names 0 to 9 (1, 2, 3 etc.) beneath this folder. I would continue doing this for each digit in the id of the recipe, except for the last, which would be name name of the actual recipe content node. Like so:

As an example, the recipe with the id 3056 would be in the folder recipes/3/0/5, and the name of the recipe document would be 6.

As the last step of my cunning (and possibly utterly stupid) plan, I would do some trickery with url rewriting, so that the users would simply see something like mysite.com/recipes/3056.aspx.

Thought, ideas, anyone? Anything will be appreciated! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft