Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 188 posts 380 karma points
    Sep 20, 2011 @ 17:47
    Johan

HTML5 Boilerplate and Umbraco

I'm goofing around with Github and thought forking HTML5 Boilerplate and making an Umbraco starter kit a good first project. I use h5bp as a starting point in pretty much all my projects and like it very much. One drawback is that it is not optimal to use with Umbraco.

If you have any experience with Umbraco and h5bp it'd be really cool if you'd share some knowledge and give some input on how to structure this project. First question. Should i include the latest version of Umbrao in the project or let the user download umbraco separately and include the boilerplate himself? Pros is you'll always get the latest Umbraco version. A con is that it is one extra step to setup a fresh install.

Here's the project

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 20, 2011 @ 18:08
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Johan,

I haven't had chance to take a look at your HTML5 Boilerplate starter kit yet... just wanted to let you know that someone else released a similar package/starter-kit a while back. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/boilerplate-html5-starter-kit - not too sure of the differences, but worth looking at?

Cheers, Lee

• Tom Hare 49 posts 81 karma points
    Sep 20, 2011 @ 18:48
    Tom Hare

The boilerplate has actually been modified/updated since that package was created so it should be updated to reflect the new code (could this be automatically pulled from Github?) but I don't know whether that warrants a whole new package. Johan, maybe who could offer to collaborate with Malte to make the package up-to-date?

Tom

• Johan 188 posts 380 karma points
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 10:44
    Johan

@Lee I haven't written a single line of code or markup on it yet. Still trying to figure out how to structure the project.

I saw his package and i saw someone else hosting a similar project on Github (https://github.com/toffeeapp/Umbraco-Boilerplate). The main reasons i don't look in to these are: They are not forks from h5bp on Github (not easily updated to be on par with h5bp), they don't contain the build script (which is going to be the biggest challenge since people set up their umbraco projects in different ways).

I think I'm going to start of not including a hole Umbraco install. That way it's easier to make it into a package to.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 11:02
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Johan,

I see no problem in having a similar/competing package - especially if it betters the solution! I do like that it is a direct fork from the h5bp source!

If I had more time, I'd offer my help (yet I have too many other package commitments).  Best of luck!

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft