Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 00:42
    Connie DeCinko

Cannot get page title when set by Umbraco

I have a usercontrol that needs the page title. In my test code, outside of Umbraco, Page.Title correctly gives me this information. When the usercontrol is on an Umbraco page, I get nothing. My title is set via the code below:

<title><umbraco:Item field="pageTitle" textIfEmpty="Protecting the Public While Advancing the Legal Profession" insertTextBefore="State Bar of Arizona :: " htmlEncode="true" stripParagraph="true" runat="server"></umbraco:Item></title>

If I Insert any text inside the title tag but before the umbraco:item tag, that is visible to my usercontrol. It appears Umbraco is injecting the title after the page is created.

How do I get that value in my usercontrol?

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 19:59
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi.

<umbraco:Item field="pageName" runat="server" />

ought to work. (You can tune it with 'insertTextBefore/After' and other stuff that I omitted above).

Oct 27, 2011 @ 20:25
    Connie DeCinko

Right, that's how I get the value in my XSLT. But how can I get the same value in my .NET usercontrol?  That's where I need the value.

Oct 27, 2011 @ 21:14
    Rodion Novoselov

In the most generic case you can get the current page id anywhere through a sort of 'hack' - just get HttpContext.Current.Items["pageID"] - it keeps the id of a current page. Then you can use library methods to access other document properties through its ID. And also in case you have your control wrapped with a macro you can pass any page property in more 'official' way through advanced macro parameter syntax. Like "[#pageName]" and so on.

Oct 27, 2011 @ 22:49
    Connie DeCinko

Well since I call a macro in my master template to load the usercontrol, sounds like that would be the best way to do this.  Where can I find an example?

Oct 27, 2011 @ 23:10
    Rodion Novoselov

For instance, there's a video tutorial about how macro parameters are passed to a wrapped asp.net user control:

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/developer-introduction/macro-parameters/TVPlayer

and below is the description of special parameter syntax ("the bracket syntax") that allows to automatically pass current page's properties, query string arguments or cookies to a macro:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/templates/umbracomacro-element/macro-parameters/advanced-macro-parameter-syntax

Oct 28, 2011 @ 00:03
    Connie DeCinko

Got it to work.  Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft