Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Collins 13 posts 34 karma points
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 15:15
    James Collins

Data Type updates not reflected on Live

Hi,

I stumbled across this behaviour while making updates to a Checkbox List data type (it also affects uComponents: XPath CheckBoxList).  It seems that updates saved on the data type itself are not reflected on the live site.

For example.  I have created a "Checkbox list" Datatype, with prevalues: 1,2,3,4,5.  I've added this to a document type and template, created a page from the document type, checkmarked 1,3,5 on the page edit screen, and published.  As expected, my output includes "1,3,5".  Now, if I go back to the "Checkbox list" data type, delete the "5" prevalue and save, I would expect the live page to no longer show the "5".  This is not the case.  The live page still shows "1,3,5" even though the page edit screen no longer has a "5" checkbox.  I need to publish the page to see the change on live.

Is this the intended functionality?  Is there an alternate method or recommended way of doing this?  The goal is to have data type changes reflected on the live site in real time.  As opposed to having to publish all pages using that data type (which would be difficult on larger sites, particularly those pages with other non-published changes).

Thanks in advance. 

James
    umbraco v 4.7.0

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 22:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

Have you tried to just update the XML cache by right clicking "Content" and selecting "repulbish the entire site" ? This really should be enough to see the changes on your live site after you have done local changes. But changes made locally will not be visible on the live site until the xml cache on the server has been refreshed.

/Jan

• James Collins 13 posts 34 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 21:49
    James Collins

Thanks for the reply Jan.  I've tried your suggestion (Republish entire site), but it did not update the page.

So currently, I have a page with checkbox list items 1,2,3, and 4 (5 was deleted).  1 through 4 are checkmarked, 5 is not even an option (though it was checkmarked before being deleted from the data type).  If I right click the root Content node and "Republish entire site", it goes through successfully.  However, when I view the live page, it is still displaying the "5", even though its not a selectable option in the backend anymore.

This surprises me, as I thought it would have worked.

Any other ideas?  Aside from what I've mentioned above, I'm hoping the solution also allows for partially edited pages.  For example, if I edit the page mentioned above but only save it (not Save and Publish), then update a data type, the live page should display the data type change, but not my partial edit (until the page has been published).

James

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft