Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 15:06
    Peter Duncanson

Converting a site to multi domain, url issues

We have a site which they want to copy and running a different version on another domain from within the same Umbraco instance. Easy I hear you say, just create a new node on the root for the original site, copy the site nodes under it and then copy all of that for the new domain so we end up with two nodes on the root, one for each site.

Here is the trouble, the original site had "hideTopLevelNode" set to true, so the nodes that used to be under root never appeared in the urls. Now we've moved them under a new node they are starting to show up. This is bad as some of our links are hard coded, we will loose these pages from Search Engines and its not the url structure the client wanted.

Any ideas on how to correct this "the right way" before I start hacking this site around too far? Tried a url rewriter but the trouble is we are not sure which of the 3 top level nodes for each site a page resides in. Thought about just installing the 301 package but that still means we have to change the url which the client does not want.

• Stephen Roberts 47 posts 516 karma points c-trib
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 15:11
    Stephen Roberts

for hideTopLevelNode we mean umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath

If there was some want to change this to hiding the top two level nodes from the path that would work I think.

• Josh Townson 67 posts 162 karma points
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 17:15
    Josh Townson

Forgive my ignorance here Pete, but if you had nodes directly under root, which didn't have a URL, how did you navigate to them?

Can you give us an example of the structure?

• Stephen Roberts 47 posts 516 karma points c-trib
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 18:22
    Stephen Roberts

originally there were 3 different top level nodes for separate items of content (one for main content, one for Stores and one for global settings) this site had umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath set to true so it treated the three nodes asif the content was the root node.

(I think it will go down each node until it will find a node matching the request.)

hope that makes snense
    Ste 

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Nov 15, 2011 @ 16:03
    Peter Duncanson

Ok so after doing some digging we chose to just patch the code that handles the "skip root node" logic to allow it to skip X amount of nodes. Seems to work a treat and we are hoping to push it back into core so others have it. Watch this space.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft