Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Mackay 98 posts 149 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:25
    Jason Mackay

Several Home Pages?

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to create a few home pages(different Homepage if referred by a site) but pick up the rest of the Umbraco Tree within each of them (ie navigation and same page name throughout).

I cant think of an easy way of doing this.

Any help would be brilliant, and thanks in advance.

Jason

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:32
    skiltz

You could create multiple templates and attach the template using ?alttemplate.  Not sure if this would work for you.

ie www.mysite.com?alttemplate=homepagev1

www.mysite.com?alttemplate=homepagev2

If you want to hide the querystring from the address bar you can can do something like this in a usercontrol

Server.TransferRequest(HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.AbsolutePath + "?alttemplate=homepagev1");
    Response.End();

Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:37
    Jason Mackay

Hi Skiltz

Thanks for your reply, its not exactly what I was looking for, I need to be able to create a new page, within the tree, so that the properties can be populated(all pages will have different properties/generic properties) at the front end and not just CSS/ Template. But also has to pick up the rest of the navigation - which is what I am finding the difficult part.

I thought it would be something quite simple, its just pulling in the rest of the navigation tree with having to copy it all again for the different page.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:51
    Rich Green

Hi Jason,

You might need to explain a little further, I can't understand what it is you're trying to achieve.

Prehaps post a picture of your content tree?

Rich

Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:59
    Jason Mackay

Hi Rich,

No problem. Say I have this, with "en" as my homepage inheriting all underneath it as navigation, I need "Frontpage-HWP" and possibly more to sit on the same level as "en" inheriting the same child pages as "en" has. The only way I can think of is copying all child page to the "Frontpage-HWP" but all the URL's will be different, and not really practical. 

Hopefully this makes more sense. Thanks

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:05
    skiltz

I still think the alttemplate would be a good way to go.  I would just store the "settings" somewhere else like in a settings node which sits outside the tree.

You would probably need to create a session variable when the customer first visited so you knew which homepage to serve up each time they navigated home.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:05
    Rich Green

Hi,

As you say all the properites and data will be different I don't understand why you don't just recreate the pages you need under Frontpage-HWP ?

What data is shared between the two homepages?

Rich 

Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:15
    Jason Mackay

Skiltz, I have something similar for the CSS, i.e if the user come from a referring page the CSS loads up and that is session based. I dont know if I really understand how this works though, how do I link the children underneath this page for session based and how would the user change the properties for if it is only the template changes, or are we presumming that we scrap the properties and just code the template? Which could work I suppose.

Rich, the generic properties are the only thing that linked, but if I copy all the pages over, the URL's are all different, say I have now 4 different homepage, that is like 4 different site, if the user want to make a change to one of the pages, they would then need to change the other 4 pages under the new site. Doesn't really make sense.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft