Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roman 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 25, 2011 @ 10:28
    Roman

Pages in steps/sequence

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas to Everyone!

I'm just a newbie in Umbraco, I just got an idea of how the fundamentals work(document types, templates, macros) from the videos and I am just wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion (even on high level). I am looking at creating a pages that should be viewed in sequence (i.e. you can't view page #3 not unless you have viewed page #1 or #2).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts big time, consider it as a Christmas present for me :)

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 25, 2011 @ 11:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Roman and welcome to our.

Merry christmas to you too :)

To make a sequence like this you would setup the node structure like this in the content tree

Root node
        Sequence 1
        Sequence 2
        Sequence 3
        Sequence 4
        etc.

Then you should have a macro to create the navigation where you could select the "root node" as a starting point and then on page 1 go and find Sequence 2's id and put it in umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id), to get the URL.

If you're on Sequence 2 and 3 you should be able to get the url for the previous sibling and next sibling. And when on Sequence 4 you should be able to get the previous child only.

Hope this helps and inspires a bit :)

/Jan

• Roman 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 25, 2011 @ 16:32
    Roman

Thank you very Jan for the very quick response!

It took me a while to digest what you suggested and in my understanding, I'll create navigation links which will point to previous and next siblings in a page. But what if someone tries to enter the page url in the address bar (which basically bypasses the links generated by the macro) and jumps immediately to sequence 4? Is there a way for me to limit them from doing that and have them redirected back to the sequence they last accessed?

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft