Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Alcock 113 posts 176 karma points
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:27
    Peter Alcock

Document types (widgets) being indexed as pages

Hi all,

Little unsure of something and hoping for some help!

I am building up website pages in Umbraco with document types (widgets as i like to say!) but these are being indexed by Google as pages with link for example domain.com/apage/textblock/

Is there a way i can tell umbraco/Google that certain Document types to not be seen as a page? i.e by doc type alias or something?

Hope makes sense!

Thanks

Pete

• Mike Chambers 636 posts 1253 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:38
    Mike Chambers

Are you unchecking the "Create matching template" when creating your docment types...

If not then you are experiencing the functionality of the alternative template.

eg/... this is showing "apage" using the alternative template "textblock"

domain.com/apage/textblock/

To resolve your issue just delete the template that aren't required.

Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:43
    Peter Alcock

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, trouble is i need a template for 'textblock' as it calls a macro which then calls an XSLT.

So for example a have a page names 'apage which uses doctype & template 'Content Page' on that page i have a 'widget' which uses doctype & template alias 'textblock', the textblock template calls the macro which then uses the relevant XSLT file.

Hopefully again this makes sense! so ideally i almost need something to allow me to state what doc types are pages and what doctype are entities of a page.

Thanks again

Pete

Jan 10, 2012 @ 12:55
    Mike Chambers

Not sure I've come across anything that allows you to say a template can't be used to display a page. (although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "widget" and having doctypes nested in a template?)

You could use the urlrrewrite config to rewrite all urls ending /textblock to the correct url with a 301 permanently moved? Then Google should igonre...

Or if you trust it to work create/add and entry to your robots.txt file to tell searchengines to ignore urls ending /textblock

Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:36
    Peter Alcock

Hopefully the above shows how my pages are built up, so Content page allows the doctypes 'image carousel' and 'text block' to be child nodes which then display on the page.

The image carousel & text block each call there own template which simply has a macro which calls a specific XSLT. What Google is doing is indexing the child nodes of the 'Content Page' there finding 404 errors for links such as /La-Quinta-Golf/La-Quinta-Images where they should be ignored.

I can add these individualy in the robots.txt for each child node name however would take too long and would fail if the node name changed, i need to tell google to ignore either certain document types i.e 'image Carousel' or the template 'widgetcarousel' so it affects all those doc/templates across the site.

thanks again most apreciated!

Pete

Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:43
    Peter Alcock

sorry not the above! this!

Jan 10, 2012 @ 14:50
    Mike Chambers

Ah... understand your structure now.  (think I was struggling with the semantics of calling a documentType... think you are actually iterating thorugh document nodes, that happen to be based on certain Document Types :-)

If I understand fully you may be better refactoring this, so that the images are assets in the media library? Possibly a custom media type to allow you to have custom parameters on the images like captions?? Not sure why you have abstraced the content out from the contentPage??? couldn't that just be a documenttype parameterr on the "content page" dopctype?

Or again you could have a custom media type for your content block as well...

This way your macro on the ContentPage could be updated to pull content from media nodes... Then there are no url's to access the unwanted items that you are seeing in google results. All that remains is the "La Quinta Golf" content page... as a url.

Not sure that's exactly what you wanted to hear.... but think it does solve your problem (For me I do find that the content section, the tree does end up being thought of as the site structure, and anything that you don't want a url to should be abstracted into the media section, or a custom section of you own building.)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft