Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 17:52
    Peter Duncanson

Pushing doctype changes to live?

Ok so the client promised a code/content freeze so we could do some development work on a copy of the site. Unknown to use they have happily changed loads of content. I now need to merge the two together...oh joy.

Pondered packaging up all the doctypes I "think" I've touched and then installing them over the time. Is that a possibility or is it likely to do something "odd".

Ideally would like answers from those who have done similar rather than folk just guessing with a "use courier" style answer, happy to give courier a go here but want to know it will do the job or even better if my package idea would do it.

Cheers guys

Pete

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 17:59
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Pete,

Courier 2 would sort this out for you... but seems overkill for a one-off operation.

I've had this situation in the past, had concerns about exporting a doc-type and re-importing it on the live site ... it does work, but I was still concerned. So I ended up sitting there with 2 windows open side-by-side, comparing each doc-type ... it was not fun!

I'd go with trying out the export doc-type and re-import locally, make sure that works for you. :-)

Cheers, Lee.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 18:08
    Jeroen Breuer

The export and import doc types definitely works. I tried it from local to live and I had no problems. I've also had 2 windows open side-by-side, but after using the import/export functionality I don't anymore :).

Jeroen

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 18:19
    Jon R. Humphrey

Pete, had a similar situation on the last site I built and ended up doing this, hope it helps!
    1. Backed up current site, kicked client out overnight

2. Downloaded all doctypes to local machine

3. Used WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/) to compare the two directories and move the respective changes where needed without mistakingly overwriting their code!

4. Uploaded new version of Doctypes and re-published site.

I know it's a bit time consuming but WinMerge helps loads as it highlights the differences between files and allows you to scan folders without having to open each file if no discrepancy!

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the talk @ UmbracoUK!

Cheers,

Jon

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 18:43
    Peter Duncanson

Awesome responses guys, knew I would not be the first to hit this one. I would have used usitebuilder etc. but its an existing site we inherited so it is what it is.

Will have a play tomorrow and see what we can do :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft