Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Evan 344 posts 99 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:13
    Evan

Can I call a Page Field Inside a CSS File?

For instance can I have an upload field and (as long as the file is the right size) have it be the background of a DIV in one of my stylesheets?  Is this possible?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:18
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You could just write some CSS in the page:

<style>
    #item {
    background-url: <xsl:value-of select="background" />
    }
    </style>

By default I don't think it is possible to do this in the CSS file itself.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Sorry, not in the page, but the XSLT.

Why is there still no "edit" button in the forum?

• Evan 344 posts 99 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:19
    Evan

Ok I am not a fan of inline CSS, not a big deal if it can not be done, just an idea.  Didn't think it could work...

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:20
    Warren Buckley

Well the simpliest way is that you could have an inline stylesheet in your head section is the easiest way but not the nicest code.

For example

<style>
    div#MyBackground
    {
    background:url(<umbraco:item field="youUploadField" runat="server"></umbraco:item>) no-repeat top left;
    }
    </style>

Kenny who I work with at Xeed has done a solution to this before where the image is in the CSS file but he is currently on holiday, but I will try to remember to ask him when he is back.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:22
    Warren Buckley

Seems like alot of us working on this at the same time ;)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:25
    Jan Skovgaard

I think that will require that you somehow make a documenttype with a template in, which the template acts as a css file.

Then you would have to reference the dynamically created CSS file in your master-template to make use of it.

I think that it should be possible.

I would do the following

1: Create a document type and a template called stylesheet in the Settings section

2: In the content section define a placeholder (an empty document type) called "stylesheets"

3: Define my stylesheet and like this

div#randomUploadImage{
    background: url('place the path to the image here fetching it with eithr XSLT or just using an umbraco page field') top left no-repeat;
    width: 100px;
    height: 100px;
    }

3: Under the "Stylesheets" placeholder I would create my stylesheet and publish it

4: Then either make a XSLT macro to retrieve the image, which should be inserted into the stylesheet in the url().

5: Reference the stylesheet in the <head> of my master template

Please let me know if it is working out.

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 17:54
    dandrayne

Seems a bit hacky, making the content tree messier, another http request and potentially open to breakage from editors just to avoid a single inline style.  +1 for sebastien and warren's solutions!

I'm not usually a fan of inline styles either, but sometimes they are the lesser of two evils.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 18:49
    Jan Skovgaard

The intention is that it should be made in a sperate tree so you have a structure like the following:

Content

- Homepage

- Subpage 1

- Subpage 2

- Settings

- Stylesheets

- Stylesheet

Under settings it is intended to make a stylesheets folder where you can create the stylesheet. I can't see what is messy about that to be honest. Content editors should off course not have access to the settings part.

I know that it seems like a lot of work to avoid a single inline stylesheet but what if suddenly you need to generate more stylesheet declarations than just one?

If people are using the compression package, which is made by Peter, I guess that it would all be wrapped into one single file and then I can't really see the problem :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft