Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ernesto Chavez 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 21:22
    Ernesto Chavez

Is there a text limit on templates?

I was trying to add an image with a map which contains several <area> tags. I got to a point where it won't let me save the changes made to the template. I did some more testing with dummy text content and it seems there is a limit on how much text you can insert in a template. Can someone confirm this? is it a bug? is it intended behavior?

Thanks, EC

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 21:38
    Jeroen Breuer

Hmm a template is just a masterpage. It shouldn't have any kind of limit. Have you tried editing the template/masterpage in visual studio? I've never any problems there.

Jeroen

• Ernesto Chavez 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 29, 2012 @ 02:17
    Ernesto Chavez

well I can edit it directly if I use the {umbraco install}/masterpages/template.file file, this issue comes when I try to edit it from the editor in umbraco. I guess I'll have to do it "manually" then. 

Thanks, EC

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 29, 2012 @ 15:02
    Rodion Novoselov

In theory there should be. Umbraco saves a copy of a template file into the database. However the field for storing template text in the database has the "ntext" database type that allows storing up to almost 2G of data (i.e. about a billion characters). If you experience problems with saving large templates it's much more probably rooted in limits imposed by IIS request filter settings or ASP.NET limits to the request length (httpRuntime/maxRequestLength in the web.config).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft