Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Bennett 9 posts 41 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:03
    Paul Bennett

Page not found handlers

Hi - I am having some trouble with the page not found handlers

I have set the <error404>3692</error404> in the umbracoSetting.config file and this works is you go to a page with the .aspx extension but does not work in any other circumstances (i.e. /somepage-that-doesnt-exist.html and /somepage-that-doesnt-exist/ will both go to the standard windows "The page cannot be found" page).

Is this something that I need to set in IIS of is there a way Umbraco can handle this? 

[This page talks about there being a standard Search for template handler but I cannot find anything that explains how to implement this: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/not-found-handlers/the-standard-umbraco-not-found-handlers

I

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:08
    dandrayne

You could perhaps set it in IIS in the tab "custom errors" ?  This should override the default.  I'm not 100% confident that umbraco picks up all 404 requests, just those that it thinks might be umbraco pages (.aspx etc).  I'd like to be shown to be wrong on this though.

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:09
    Chris Dunn

Do you have wildcard mappings setup in IIS?

Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:11
    Chris Dunn

Wildcard mapping in IIS will set the default handler for all requests to asp.net which includes non-aspx pages.  The 404 error would then be handled by umbraco for all requests (no found requests), not just aspx pages.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:14
    Paul Bennett

I'm not sure about how IIS is set up here - I really just need to know if setting this in IIS is the way to go in which case I can speak to someone who controls the hosting or whether I should be trying to do this myself as part of Umbraco?

Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:23
    Chris Dunn

Setting the wildcard mappings is a good idea if you want 'extentionless' urls like  http://www.mydomain.com/aboutus, and to allow umbraco complete control over the handling of requests.  The only issues I have run into is in cases where I have alot of sub-applications with the umbraco directory, but not always.  In those cases you can use the web.config setting of 'umbracoReservedPaths' or 'UmbracoReservedUrls' to tell umbraco to ignore certain directories or pages.  So if it's a fresh install of only umbraco content, your usually ok.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 16:41
    Paul Bennett

Cheers Chris - I'll get the hosting guys to set up wildcard mappings

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft