Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Leonard 8 posts 38 karma points
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 00:00
    Richard Leonard

List of another document type within document Type

I have tried searching but I cannot find anything that answers my question.  I currently have a Document Type of "Staff member" which is contained beneath "Staff Department".

I need another section on the site that will contain a "Services" Document Type. With this Document Type I would like one of the properties to be a multi select list off all the "Staff Member" document types so when the service page loads it shows the staff members you need to contact for that service.  Is this possible?  And what would be the best approach to do so?  I am using Umbraco 4.7.1.1

Thanks for your help!

Richard

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 07:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Richard and welcome to our :)

This is indeed possible.

What you need to do is to create a new datatype based on the Multi Node Tree Picker datatype found in the uComponents package. If you have not yet installed this package you should do so.

When you setup the MNTP you can select the "Staff Department" node id as the starting point and when you place your picker on the "services" document type all the staff members will appear on a list where you can choose the ones needed on a particular page.

Afterwards you can easily render the output with a macro based on xslt or razor.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Richard Leonard 8 posts 38 karma points
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:12
    Richard Leonard

Oh wow, thats great!  I didn't have uComponets installed but now I do!  Thanks Jan, are there any other packages I should really have installed?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2012 @ 23:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Yes the uComponents package really rocks :-)

Well that a good question. There are many good packages out there...but I would definately recommend these packages 
    standard values - makes it possible to define standard values so the properties are automaically inserted while a node is created. Once you've installed it you can't live without it.

DAMP - provides many cool and usefull features that enhance the media handling in Umbraco.

ImageGen - if you ever need to resize photo's or manipulate them dynamically etc. you should check out imagegen.

CMSimport - If you need to import data into Umbraco from another db, xml or csv you should check out this package. But be aware that it's commercial - the free edition only allows for importing 500 nodes. But it really rocks and can save you a lot of time.

There are many other cool packages out there, which are all cool and I can't keep track or remember all of them anymore but the above mentioned have made my life easier when working with Umbraco :)

Enjoy!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft