Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Lindholm 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 15:02
    Peter Lindholm

Template Editor breaks my markup

Hi.

I'm justing starting out with v5 of Umbraco and must say it's great to be back after a few years absence.

I am, however, having quite som trouble with the Template and Stylesheet editor.

Whenever I edit my template in the template editor and saves it my site layout is all wrecked. Blanks and empty quotes are inserted in my markup, which makes my design breaks in several browsers.

Found out that if I selected all content from the template editor and copied it to notepad something weird appeared on the very first line:

The first line is alway "formatted" even though it should just be clear text after all in Notepad. If I manually erase the line and re-type it, it appears without formatting, and then copies it back to the template editor again everything is working.

I've experience the same behavior in both the Template- and Stylesheet editor. So I thought, okay I'll just skip the backoffice editors alltogether and stick with the VS2010 editor. But the same thing happens. I edit in VS and save, but then have to go to the backoffice editor and cleanse it through Notepad.

Am I just missing something completely or what the heck is going on?

Hope somebody can help me out.

- Peter

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 21:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter - welcome to our :)

What version of Umbraco 5 are you using? I know that there have been reported some bugs related to the umbraco editor, which causes some weirdness. I believe that they should be fixed in v5.1 final. You can monitor the progress of new Umbraco versions here: http://progress.umbraco.org/

Finally I want to encourage you to primairly edit your templates/views in an editor outside of Umbraco since they do a much better job of codehighlightning etc. imho - While sometimes it's nice to be able to setup the different sections using the Umbraco editor.

/Jan

• Peter Lindholm 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 21:44
    Peter Lindholm

Hi Jan.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using 5.0.1 - so I'll keep an eye on the progress site.

Now that I've found the workaround with copy/paste to and from Notepad I'm trying to get it to a "stable" state and then I'll check if the problem is solved by sticking to VS.

- Peter

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft