Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Kørup 17 posts 39 karma points
    May 02, 2012 @ 16:48
    Alex Kørup

How to output a conditional field?

Outputting a field in Umbraco is pretty straight forward:

<umbraco:Item runat="server" field="introduction">

Lets say I'm currently rendering an article with the property 'introduction'. In case the article introduction field is empty I want instead to output a more global field on the home site node, let's call it 'global_introduction'.

Does anybody know how to do this?

I know about the optional attribute xslt, but don't know if it will suffice... or exactly how to do it.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2012 @ 20:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alex

If you want to keep using the umbraco:Item way of doing things all you need to to is add another attribute named "useIfEmpty" and then type in the property you want to display instead. Like this: <umbraco:Item field="introduction" useIfEmpty="bodyText" runat="server" />

If you edit the templates using the editor build into Umbraco you can see the different field options by clicking the button right next to the "save" icon.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

May 02, 2012 @ 20:45
    Alex Kørup

Thank you for your reply. The useIfEmpty selects a field in the same scope as the field="introduction" attribute, right? Well, what I need if the 'introduction' is empty is to select a global field set on the top node in the content hierarchy (ie. the frontpage of my site).

I assume the useIfEmpty doesn't allow XPath!?

/Alex

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    May 02, 2012 @ 22:45
    Mike Chambers

What if you set recursion? I'm not entirely sure how the useIfEmpty and recurse work in tandem... but might be worth investigating??

<umbraco:Item field="introduction" useIfEmpty="bodyText" recursive="true" runat="server" />

Or just jump out into macro, with more powerful logic, rather than try and use the simple umbraco item.

May 03, 2012 @ 13:31
    Alex Kørup

Setting recursive=true doesn't seem to effect the useIfEmpty value. :( This would otherwise have been what I needed!

Maybe a macro is the only way around this issue...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft