Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 12:16
    Jonathan Roberts

Macros - use them in Templates or Text Editor?

Hi, Can someone tell me the best way to use a Macro? I have a site that has 100s of Templates because they all use different Macros. Is it better to reduce the number of Templates used and add the Macros direct into Rich Text Editor?
    Am I right in saying that it is best to keep the number of Templates down to a minimum?
    Many thanks

Jonathan

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 12:53
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Jonathan,

How did you end up with 100 Templates?? You can use Macros both in RTE or insert them in Templates directly. 

What you need to consider is how will the client be using the BackOffice of Umbraco? and will he be changing the Macros whenever he wants to?

//fuji

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 12:58
    Jonathan Roberts

it's a site that we have inherited from a different developing company. They have humdreds of Templates and Document Types and it is my job to go through each one to try a determine whether I need to delete any, filter out any duplication or move Macros from the Templates to Text Editors etc. Bit of a nightmare but I want to do it right first time. The CMS users are PC unfriendly so Im worrying that having the Macros in the Text Editors will confuse them.

Jon

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 13:05
    Fuji Kusaka

Try to have a look at those videos "Templates" & "Macros" http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials.aspx . 

Personally i dont give much access to user admin to add macros to their RTE, expect if a specific folder is being used.

//fuji

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft