Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bert 128 posts 251 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:24
    Bert

Content Restrict 'Create'

Is it possible to restrict the document types that can be created under the Content node? As far as I know it isn't, would be a nice additional feature.

The current alternative is make a dummy document type as the first level under the Content node, and then restrict users to that node. Yet somehow it makes me feel dirty when I do that :)

Do I overlook this feature or do you guys use and alternative way to restrict the document types that can be created under 'content'?

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:47
    Chris Dunn

I don't think it should make you feel dirty to handle it that way.  If you think about it the content node is the root and should only be accessed by admins.  I believe it's general practice to create a first level node, or homepage node (or "site" node if you're doing many sites under the same installation) which contains all other nodes.

-Chris

• Bert 128 posts 251 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:56
    Bert

I am just creating one multi language site.

Content:

- Home Language 1
    -- stuff

- Home Language 2
    -- stuff

Everyone should be able to access all versions of the site, so basicly the dummy type is the way to go. Which I still find dirty :)

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 16:48
    Morten Bock

You could also create an event handler that cancels the "create" event if the document type is not "HomepageRoot" or something like that.

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 17:37
    jonok

Bert, I had the same problem (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/2905-User-permissions-on-the-top-level-content-node)

And as suggested above I added an extra top level node which fixed my problem, but it created a new problem (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/3089-Home-page-redirect---will-it-affect-SEOin that the home page (the new top level node that i created) of my umbraco site loads as an empty page. I've set a redirect (using the 'umbracoRedirect' alias) to the first node beneath it and that works, but I'm worried about how the redirect will affect SEO, ie. will google crawl my site considering the home page is a redirect?

I'm still up in the air as to what to do here. The site that I am working on will be going live soon and I'll have to find some sort of solution.

• trfletch 598 posts 604 karma points
    Aug 21, 2009 @ 14:12
    trfletch

Has anyone got an answer to this because I have just come across this issue myself, I currently have the following structure and I want to have Homepage and Global on the same level because Global contains global settings for the site such as ad banners etc so it shouldn't be a subpage of the homepage. The problem is I do not want users to be able to right click on the content node and be able to create any document type that they like.

Content
          Homepage
          Global
          Recycle bin

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Aug 23, 2009 @ 11:13
    jonok

trfletch - you just need to add another node under Content (eg. Site Content), and then move all of your other nodes so that they are children beneath that one. Now you can set your user permissions on the new node and restrict what they can create. Then right click on 'Homepage' and select 'manage hostnames' and add your domain, and it will then make 'Homepage' load as the default document of the site...

Content
          Site Content
                Homepage
                Global
                Recycle bin

• trfletch 598 posts 604 karma points
    Aug 27, 2009 @ 10:24
    trfletch

Hi,

Thanks for that, I will give that a try.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft