Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Maria del Valle Duhagon 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:07
    Maria del Valle Duhagon

Looking for advice on content nodes structure for a new site

Hello,

I am building a new site using Umbraco 4.7.2. The main content of the site are food recipes and tips. Each of the recipes is related to a given Category, Type, and Product, following this hierarchy:

- Category A

- Type A

- Product A

- Product B

- Type B

Each of the nodes in this hierarchy will have a page, where I show some data about the Catgery/Type/Product and then list 3 or 4 random recipes belonging to that Category/Type/Product

Then, I need to make a page to list the full 'list' of recipes for a Category, another for the full list of recipes for a type, and the same for a Product.

Finally, I will need to make a search page, for all the recipes (probably to search by text).

I am using Razor macros for almost everything. 

I was thinking of two possible ways to structure the site nodes, specially recipes nodes on the site:

A) Make recipes be children of the Product they are related to. This way recipes would be 'all over' my site tree and I'm afraid a search/listing on all recipes would be really costly

B) Make recipes be children of a single node (a dedicated maybe hidden 'Recipes folder'). Add properties to the recipe document type for related category, related type, related product. And then filter the childs of this nodes by these properties to make the lists for Category, Type, etc.

What do you think would be a better structure? As I said, I'm concerned about performance, and to some extent 'easyness' to make the different queries on recipes.

At least knowing which you take as the 'more natural' structure would be great!

Thanks to all that made it to the end of this, sorry it was so long! 

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:50
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Maria,

My suggestion would be to create custom datatypes (category/type/product) and define prevalues for those custom datatypes. Then for each recipe, define properties (category/type/product) that have these custom datatypes as data type.

Another way, would be to use the 'Tags' datatype, but I'm not that experienced with using the Tags datatype.

hope this helps in some way,

Anthony

• Maria del Valle Duhagon 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:57
    Maria del Valle Duhagon

Thanks Anthony! It does help

I was thinking of making the properties content pickers, and store the nodeId of the related category/type/product. Custom Datatypes would be better for performance maybe?

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 16:10
    Anthony Candaele

I think performance wise it's better to work with a set of prevalues and then use these prevalues for your properties. Using content picker's or uComponents MultiNode Tree Picker for that matter creates more duplication. The only advantage of using uComponents MultiNode Tree Picker is that you can select multiple Categories/Types/Products for a recipe.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft