Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 22:18
    Garrett Fisher

Multilanguage: Custom Fields Not Translatable?

Hi,

I'm fleshing out a multilanguage site (using subdomains) at the moment and although I am using GetDictionaryItem() for page names / navigation of course, I was under the impression that content fields would deliver the foreign content automagically based on the domain name being served.  However, this works ONLY for the bodyText field.  What is the deal with that?  I have dozens of custom fields, naturally, spread across many many document types, and even though these custom fields are populated with the German content, my XSLTs are always rendering the English field value.

As I said above, I know to use umbraco.library:GetDictionaryItem(@nodeName) for naviation items so tha my urls are consistent across domains, but again, for the content fields, should this be automatic?  As I said, the bodyText field is coming through peroperly, with no special treatment in the code/markup.  

One thing I did notice is that the bodyText field is always being rendered in the masterpage via the <umbraco:Item> tag, eg.

<umbraco:Item field="leftColumn" runat="server" />

This works fine; I get the foreign-language content.  However, any field I refer to in an XSLT, which is nearly all the time since I am using Macros, it doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong?  This can't be the correct functionality!

Thanks,

Garrett

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Oct 16, 2012 @ 16:01
    Garrett Fisher

Really need some help on this folks.   I have set up a multilingual site using multiple root nodes and need to know why in my XSLT macros I am not getting the translated content from any fields.  I don't understand the Point of these fields even existing in the foreign-language nodes if I have to create dictionary items for every single one in order for them to come through on the front end in the proper language.

Help!

Thanks,

Garrett

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft