Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 17:03
    Lachlann

Repository of pages outside the home node

Hi I am creating a site in umbraco 4.0.2.1,

I have items of type "work" these work items are grouped together by type and an index of all work items in a group is displayed , A work item can belong to multiple groups and therefore the same item can appear on many pages. My problem is that each work item is techinicaly a page in itself (i.e. the user can view a work item as a page of content (thats what is linked to from the index pages)).I dont want to repeat content so i cant just have the same work item copied into multiple groups.

My idea was to create a  repository of work items outside of the home node which could then be added to a group using the treeMultiPicker datatype. This throws the problem that the URL of each work item will not look correct, i.e. it would be www.mysite.com/workitem.aspx insted of www.mysite.com/group1/workitem.aspx.

There is also the added difficulty that the work index pages have to default to the first work item and display an index of the work items in that group highlighting the current work item being viewed.

Any suggestions onhow to structure this would be very much appreciated.

L

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 17:54
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Lachlann,

Recently been running into something similar ... and you'll have to make a trade off imo. Either:

- Go with the flow, create a separate repo for work items, possibly create a folder 'work items' to store all work item docs in, and url may become /work-items/work-item.aspx. (may be more difficult if you're using breadcrumbs, cause you're loosing bit of context info when switching from a content page (which has the picker) and the work item page (no longer showing path to content page)

- Custom code which will create some url aliases for you, either at the level of the content page, or at the level of a work item. For example, when using a ultimate picker, you could pick (using a checkbox list) any number of work items from a list (parent node to specify of course) and on save of document, iterate the selected items and set a property (alias = 'umbracoUrlAlias') to that value. You can find more info on that specific property and how to use it here, examples of how to configure/create/consume events can be found here.

Others may have other options tho, love to hear about those as well..

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 22:37
    Chris Koiak

In this scenario I usually implement what I call 'backish'. I would go with www.mysite.com/workitem.aspx, but store the previous accessed page(s) in the session. You will then use the last accessed page as the current parent page.

This should therefore allow the navigation/page elements to change according to the users path (i.e. parent page). For example the breadcrumb would be 'faked' to suggest the workitem exists in the right category.

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Sep 23, 2009 @ 10:15
    Lachlann

Thanks guys for your suggestions, in the end went with a different way of implementing the whole section, but may go back and have another look.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft