Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ignacio Roberto Berra 2 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 02, 2013 @ 14:50
    Ignacio Roberto Berra

Deploying Umbraco on an environment

Hi All,

First all, I'm Ignacio, and this is my first post. I'm new in the Umbraco's world, and I'm glad about join your community.

Please excuse me if I'm writing in the wrong section.

Here is my question. Is there a way to deploy/install in another environment the document type created in my own environment? I'm currently creating the document types from the UI backend of Umbraco, but I'm thinking in how to install these document type at time of deploy in a real environment.

Is there a way to create those, in an XML in an specific folder or something like that?

Best regards,

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2013 @ 16:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ignacio and welcome to our :)

Usually it's a good idea to have a local environment setup for development.

When you're done developing and you're ready to deploy your site to the live environment you need to do the following

1: Copy the files to the server

2: Make a dump of your local database and import it on your live database server

3: Change the connection string in the web.config on the live server to your live database.

If you at a later time need to add a new document type or a new property to a document type you do it locally and on the live site.

But since that approach is not really efficient I recommend that you have a look at Courier, which is intended to make deployment easy. You can also export/import document types in the settings section if you would like.

It's also a good idea to save your code in a repository using bitbucket.org for instance.

Hope these pointers help - otherwise don't hesitate to ask further questions - and I'm sure people will add to my above pointers if I have forgotten something or described something unclearly :)

Cheers,
    Jan 

• Ignacio Roberto Berra 2 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 02, 2013 @ 17:03
    Ignacio Roberto Berra

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the answer. These kind of tips, are that I was looking for. I really apreciate that.

I had not seen the option for export/import document type, now I checked out it.

Kind regards,

Ignacio

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft