Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris D 17 posts 37 karma points
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 22:14
    Chris D

Simple Page Structure (Header/Body/Footer)

I am struggling trying to understand this. All i want to know is, If i have a site.. with a header body and footer sections, and i am setting this up in Umbraco. How would i do it?

So for example i have a Master Page which is my default. I want to include the footer and header onto the master page, whether it's by a Macro or by a seperate template. Can someone clarify this?

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 15:11
    Brendan Rice

Templates map directly to master pages, they are essentially the same thing. Just use templates liek you would use masterpages.

Macros are more for components e.g. navigation

If you are still struggling have a look at some of the starter kits, look at how they structure things.

Hope that helps

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 15:36
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Chris,

I will give Brendan right, a good way to learn things in Umbraco would be to install one of the starter kits, and learn stuff from there.

Another good alternative would be to watch introduction videos, about some basic stuff in Umbraco. You can find the videoes on Umbraco.tv.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco.aspx

I hope the link to the introduction videos to help you, in addition to what Brendan already written

/Dennis

Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:20
    Chris D

Okay. I have yet to try one of the starter kits, so i will give that a shot next. I seem to get more understanding about the backend functions by doing Cart Starter Sites. 

Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:39
    Chris D

THANK YOU.. thank you. This explains it a whole lot better. Allot more is clearer now. when it comes to simple structure.

Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:48
    Brendan Rice

No worries.

The way I think about is this:

Templates = Master Pages

Data Types = Data/Table structure/schema

Content = Data/Table row

Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:51
    Chris D

Got it... See the naming schemes just through me completely off. For example calling a Parameter or attribute " Content " just throws me all off. I would have been f much more farther along by now, but this will give me the boost in the right direction i need.

Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:53
    Brendan Rice

There is a little bit of a learning curve but once you get it, you'll make up the time :)

Feb 05, 2013 @ 18:43
    Chris D

IF there was one thing i would change in ASP.NET is the naming schemes for the tags which are used.. Why would you have two tags virtually almost with the exact same name? That's Extremely confusing. And then why would you use " ID " in the actual name of the tag. That's even more confusing.

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID >  AND <asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

^ That is what completely through me off.

Feb 05, 2013 @ 18:44
    Brendan Rice

You might want to investigate ASP.Net MVC which Umbraco supports, it is a lot closer to HTML and more familiar if you come from a PHP background

Feb 05, 2013 @ 18:48
    Chris D

I have a PHP background. However, I did a ASP.NET C# application that was pretty complex..but i did not have to deal at all with master templates or pages..

Feb 05, 2013 @ 19:08
    Brendan Rice

Master pages can take a little getting used to there is a good video series on the microsoft site, look for the one on master pages:

http://www.asp.net/web-forms

also you might want to look into ASP.Net MVC, the industry has been moving in favour of it for the past 3-4 years:

http://www.asp.net/mvc

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 18:15
    Charles Afford

I would definity plump for a MVC approach as apposed to the web form approach, although the later will give you a nice introduction to how everything works.  Using MVC (after the learning curve) a million times easier and quicker to develop an Umbraco site.  Charles

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft