Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jitendra 9 posts 29 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 10:01
    jitendra

As a web designer, what are the things to know about umbraco CMS?

As a web designer, what are the things to know about umbraco CMS?

I do not have any programming skills.

I have till now edited responsive web design, where are static.

I know, HTML, JS, and bit of jquery

Now, I have a asp.net developer, who can give contribution to programming part.

please answer

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 10:56
    Dennis Aaen

Hi jitendra,

I think you should look at document types, the document types defines different and important things in Umbraco.
    E.g the document types defines the structure of your site, which type of pages can be assigned under differnt types of pages.

As a web designer, working with Umbraco, I think you should know about of course HTML, CSS and Javascript but you should also know how to work with ASP.NET masterpages,
    and contentplace holders, and as I mentioned earlier the document types.

If I have missed something important here, feel free to add.

A good way to learn the basics about how to work with the Umbraco system is to see these introductions videos to Umbraco. In these videos, they lookked at how to work with document types and so on. http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco.aspx

And still feel free to ask questions in the forum, there is a lot of great skilled developers in here, and I think anybody will love try helping you learing Umbraco.
    When I started working with Umbraco I found many good posts in this forum, who helped me figured out how to do things in Umbraco.

I hope this make sense.

/Dennis

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 17:51
    Brendan Rice

When I have worked with designers they spend most of their time in the settings with the CSS and templates.

What helps sometimes is to design out the site in plain HTML, then see what parts of the design are common between pages and can go in a master page, the other parts that make up the page can then go on different templates or in macros depending.

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 12:11
    Charles Afford

I would suggest taking a look at pluralsite.  They have some great resources about everything from architecture to programming to design.

I would take a look at HTML CSS AJAX Javascript and Jquery.  I would certinalty try to learn ASP.NET and why not learn try to learn some coding in C#.  You will be a much better designer if you understand the tech that is going on under the hood so to speak.

From an Umbraco point of view, PlaceHolders, ASP.NET (the basics), document types, xslt and razor, how to setup up users/members and there permissions :)

Please take a look at Pluralsite.  Well worth the money (i dont work for pluralsite!)

• Sahan Rodrigo 25 posts 97 karma points
    Feb 20, 2013 @ 00:29
    Sahan Rodrigo

You may need to have some knowledge about how Umbraco render content to the end user. Normally this is combination of Document type, Templates and actual page. And then you can apply your HTML, JavaScript and design knowledge to the project.

I would say watch some Umbraco video tutorials http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials.aspx.

Hope this helps.

Sahan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft