Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 23:23
    Amir Khan

Do Document Type Alias' have to be unique?

How unique do document type aliases have to be? Lets say I have two master document types and some other document types underneath. Is there any drawback to having a few document types with the same alias?

For Example:

-Master 1
    _Two-Columns
    _Three-Columns

-Master 2
    _Two-Columns
    _Three-Columns

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 23:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Amir

I'm not even sure it's possible to have two document types with the same alias - If I remember correctly it will result in an error.

Why do you need to have the same alias names? The aliases need to be unique but you can have the same names for your document types though.

If it's because you need to have 2 different sites running on different document types I suggest you give the aliases a prefix.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Feb 06, 2013 @ 03:19
    Amir Khan

Hi Jan,

It looks like you can create two document types with the same alias but it throws an error when trying to publish a document created with either type.

You're right on with the prefix or suffix on the alias for multiple sites. I'm guessing the same applies to template aliases?

-Amir

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 03:43
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Amir,

Jan is correct here. Why dont you create a documentType and have the 2 aliases  in it and from there create Master 1 and Master 2 underneath so that it inherits the property aliases.

Something like

- Master Template (2 Columns)
    -- Master 1
    -- Master 2

Am not sure what you are trying to achieve here by using columns, but you could also make use of the Multiple text string from uComponents.

//fuji

Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:48
    Amir Khan

Hi Fuji,

I'm creating a family of sites, some will have similar layouts, some not. Your suggestion makes sense, then I can basically create a "top" document type for each site, and only allow the appropriate document types below it, and assign the appropriate template so the colors change, etc?

-Amir

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft